Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Re-Barrel...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of skid2964
posted
I have an older Remington BDL in 7mm mag .. I am considering getting it re-barreled to the same caliber but with a premium stainless barrel for better accuracy. The accuracy isnt that bad now, I just want the advantages of stainless steel and hopefully wind up with a tack driver instead of just "good" accuracy.

Opinions? Recomendations for which brand of barrel? is all this a waste of time if I dont have anything done to the receiver?

Posts: 151 | Location: Brandon, Mississippi, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
is all this a waste of time if I dont have anything done to the receiever?

Most barrel makers and gun smiths include truing the action in the price of installation. I won't give advice on barrels but a good gun smith a couple hours from you is:

David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi, LA. 71232

(318) 878-0482

He will install a barrel for around $200. (plus barrel cost) This will include truing the action lapping the bolt lugs and squaring the bolt face. This will make for a fine shooting rifle. He usually recommends Douglas or Krieger barrels.
Most of the barrel makers also charge about the same price for installation.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
He will install a barrel for around $200. (plus barrel cost) This will include truing the action lapping the bolt lugs and squaring the bolt face. This will make for a fine shooting rifle. He usually recommends Douglas or Krieger barrels.

Shawn

That's a good deal, out here in Commiefornia my smith charges twice that for a blueprint, chamber and barrel install.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a hunting rifle, that amount of "truing" will probably be fine. It is not however a full action blueprinting. That would cost several hundred bucks alone, before the barrel work. I think PacNor offers the best barrel for the money, they are really good barrels at a better cost than most others.

One of Us
Picture of skid2964
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluetick:

Most barrel makers and gun smiths include truing the action in the price of installation. I won't give advice on barrels but a good gun smith a couple hours from you is:

David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi, LA. 71232

(318) 878-0482

Shawn

That's good info ... This gunsmith is not very far from me. You have used him personally for this type of work? It should would be nice to be able to drop of my rifle instead of shipping it!

Posts: 151 | Location: Brandon, Mississippi, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have used him personally for this type of work?

Yes. Not only that but Mr. David is a jam up good guy and a good friend. With that said, and with my bias noted, there are plenty of people who post on here that will tell you the same thing. Chic Worthing and Jim Dubell to name a couple.
People like Jim, Chic & Mr. David (he loves to be called Mr. David) Wink Are absolute tops in there field. These are not mere mortal men when it comes to fine rifles, rebarreling a m700 is akin to walking for you and me. Give him a call.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor prefit.