Notify
Tools

Re: need help with new rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Mark,

If you wanted a Lefty, you might contact Montana Rifle Co.

Montana Rifleman

and get one of their barreled actions and have Serengeti Serengeti

stock it.

Might be a bit more than picking one off the shelf, but finding off the shelf Lefties isn't easy either.

The end result would be a more custom rifle that you would have had made for you. Just a thought.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I think Allen gave you some good thoughts there, you should look on Guns America on the net if you go that way. Also, I think DJ might have said this, but despite some questionable SAKO dealings recently, an M-75 in a blued gun would be a good way to go for quality and accuracy.
Good Luck and I guess your certainly headed for a Merry Christmas!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well i'm a lefty myself from your list i'd go with savage very finely built rifles for the money but if willing why not check out building a rifle exactly like you want with the montana 1999 action they do sell barreled action in a variety of calibers well that's my 2 cents

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Based on the guns you named, I am assuming that your price range is a little fixed in the mass-market catagory.

About the cheapest way to get into an MRC1999/Serengeti package is the "Ghost Kit". At $1099 its a good deal for the quality of the components offered but you still have to finish the metal and stock. Not exactly an economic match with Savage/Winchester/et al but a good idea if you like that sort of work. A finished Serengeti is a great gun but another level up in price.

If you want an MRC1999 finished and in a Browning price range, get the CZ. Same gun in a factory stock but only in stainless (yuk).

If you look closely, the CZ and A-Bolt Micro Hunter stock lines are very similar to each other too, FWTW.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, does she have a sister... (don't let my wife read that)......

I've always thought it neat to have Classic Rifles in Classic Calibers. I've had a couple Winchester model 70's in 270 Winchester and all shot very well, of course every 270 I've ever had shoot good. Maybe it's my imagination but the 270 seems to shoot best in a Model 70. Conversely I think that a 7mm Remington Mag is a great fit in a Model 700. Of course I've had both calibers in both rifles but you know what I mean.
On recent Model 70's, I have a buddy who is a very serious hunter. His Goto rifle had been a 264 Win Mag in a Ruger that shot very well. He had a Remington 700 in 300 Ultra that he was trying to fall in love with and couldn't. I let him shoot a couple of my Model 70's and he began to love the way they handled in the field, fed, functioned and shot. He's busy customizing his third or fourth M-70 now. With a little work or sometimes none a M-70 can be made to feed better than about anything else, you can get them to smoothly feed empties (try that with a 700). All of his factory guns have shot some load or another into MOA or less (sometimes much less). I've had a couple M-70s that seemed picky about what they wanted to shoot well but I've always found something that shot really well in almost all of them. I wouldn't shy away from buying one -especially in 270.
The new MRC 1999/CZ/Serengeti may be a good choice but I'm reserving judgment until I play with one.
The things that I don't like about Remington 700's hasn't kept me from owning several but personally I like M-70's better in a Hunting rifle.
I don't know if they had any lefties but the $649 Sako M-75's would be a great choice if they had one for you with the bolt on the wrong side.
I guess at the end I would vote for a M-70 in 270 Win or WSM.

I'm jealous the only way I'm getting something that shoots for Christmas is to make the coal into Black Powder..............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I sent you a PM.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Allen, everyone else,

Thanks for your comments. I went with the Montana, ordered it just now. Left handed, 30-06, 23" barrel 1:10 twist, Blued, Matte finish, Recesed crown, #3 barrel contour, Lapping the Lugs & Squaring the Action.

Once I get it in I will be having McMillan Make a Stock and Bed the Action (glass bedding with aluminum pillars).

It cost a little more than I had originally planned, but not as much as I though it would for a semi customized piece. Out the door will be around $1600. But why risk 650.00 on something that may or may not shoot.

So merry Christmas to me! My Birthday is in Feb., so I told the wife she has me covered for that too. lol

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Congrats on the new rifle! I tried to email you but it bounced.

Be sure to post pictures when you get the rifle.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote