New
Find
Notify
Tools

Permanent external gun protectant
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What might be the best way to permantely(?) protect my exterior metal (Coating?). I have a couple ss rifles that I would like to have protected. They go from Texas to Alaska every year and most conditions in between.

Thanks

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I may have misunderstood your question, but I've had good luck with hard chrome although it isn't the easiest to work with.

Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to recommend the Rogard process. It is tough and looks great. I have done a few in teflon, but it is no more durable than blueing. It is protective as long as you don't wear it off or scratch it.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogard NP-3 is the best.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three Remington 700's finished by Robar. All three have Rogard on the Receiver and barrel and the bolt and all internal's are done in NP3.

The NP3 is used more for internals because of the built in friction reducing and lubricating properties of the process.

Unless you want a silver colored rifle (the only color available for NP3) go with the Rogard which is available in several different colors and shades.

The finishes done by Wilson Combat are also really nice and very weather resistent. I have a .45 ACP with their finish in a two-tone flat black and flat grey that is beutiful (black slide, grey frame.)

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendations, that Robar looks as though it will take care of my needs.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute, his guns are stainless steel, why put Robar on stainless steel....

Stainless Steel is the best protection...

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps he wants a different color?

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote