New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to make a French-Fitted Case
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know of a resource that spells out how to make a french-fitted case. Well not the case itself but the interior? Preferably on the web. Any suggestions or pictures would be appreciated.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Russ

I'm in the planning stage of doing one for an 1895 Winchester - 2 barrel set. I have an old "Gun World" magazine issue with a story about making a wood case for highly modded mannlicher M1 Carbine. PM me your address and I'll get a copy to you.

Did you see these.
http://www.centercustomcases.com/Lugers.html

and the master
http://hueycases.com/fulllength.shtml#

Ray Shelton
http://www.trapshooters.com/cf...d=174598&Messages=11\\

crappy pic from the magazine

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked into this some time back. there is one guy in the US that is the end all be all apparently, a few beers in right now and can't remember his name but he was kind enough to suggest the only way to learn was to get an old case and dissect it and find out. I've never done so but figure it would be informative.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The aspects of the technique that are not obvious are

1. How to line the cavities with that little edge - material to use and method of affixing lining
2. What material to use for the bed - wood too heavy, polystyrene foam not strong enough.

Anyway, hopefully Rich's article will shed light on the whole thing. I figure a french fitted case will be sturdier than a compartmented case...and also avoids having to nail those dividers through the outside of the frame. My case will have an exposed frame and I don't want any nail heads or putty visible.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Don't know if I have the spelling correct but ethel foam is a good material. 3M spray adhesive to glue down the cloth.
Be sure to let the case off gas a week or two before placing rifle inside. solvents need to evaporate.
ethel foam can be cut and shaped very easy and it rigid enough to hold up and light enough not to be a dead weight.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I think the urethane type foam board will stand up to glue. Don't use regular foam insulation board.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote