Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belgium Browning Trigger Adjustment
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Belgium Browning Safari in .375 H&H and would like to lighten the trigger pull. I have a few books on gunsmithing but it is not listed. Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction or post the instructions?

Thanks, Dirtsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trigger is not adjustable, sell me the gun to avoid any further problems.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FN Mauser that the Brownings were built on used a Sako #4 trigger -- the same trigger that was used on all Sakos from the early 1960's through the mid-1980's. If you will go to the Sako website you can find the owner's manual for an L61R or A-III (or one of the shorter actions which used the same trigger. The OM will have directions on adjusting the trigger.

But let me save you some trouble: First, remove the bbl action from the stock as the adjustments cannot be accessed externally. Unless the trigger was poorly mounted in the first place, the only adjustment you need to worry about is the weight-of-pull adjustment. This is the middle of three screws on the front edge of the trigger (the one below is the overtravel adjustment and the one above and forward mearly secures the trigger to the action frame).

Loosen the lock nut on the middle screw and back the screw out (counterclockwise) to lighten the pull. Back it off a half-turn at a time until you acheive the desired pull. After reaching the desired pull (and tightening the lock nut), slam the bolt home multiple times, engage and disengage the safety multiple times, etc. to assure that the firing pin sear does not slip over, allowing the firing pin to fall into the fired position. If it does, move your adjusting screw clockwise until this problem is solved. How light a pull you can safely achieve will vary with each trigger, so be very careful about assuring that the firing pin catches and stays cocked every time you close the bolt. You can probably go down to somewhere between two and three pounds. To go lower you would probably have to have a competent gunsmith work on engagement surfaces.

I like to apply a dab of clear nail polish (a ready supply of which being one of the more tangible benefits of marriage at my age) to the screw after the final adjustment to assure that it stays securely in place.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Belgium Browning Safari in .375 in the shop at the moment for stocking.

The trigger on this and others I have worked on consists of a sear hinged at the same point as the standard mauser trigger assembly; a trigger that is pivoted behind the sear slot in the action and the side safety assembly.

Essentually, the trigger is set up similar to the Winchester model 70 trigger, but without trigger spring jam nuts to allow for weight of pull adjustment.

The trigger is adjustable for overtravel using the screw on the rear arm of the trigger (the trigger return spring fits over this) Some individuals adjust the weight of pull by shortening this spring - this works but one can cut it to the point that the trigger is unreliable. Correction consists of replacing the spring, but have seen small bots and washers used.

Cleaning up the trigger/sear contact point can give you an excellent trigger pull that will not get out of adjustment.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at it tomorrow if I can find the time and see what I can do.

Jim, I should sell it as I really don't need it but it shoots too good to sell. I know I'd kick myself if I did.

Dirtsmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WJW is correct in his assesment of the "Belgian" Browning trigger. I have worked on a number of them, even converted some to my swing type safety. The other trigger was usually found on the "Sako" Brownings, not the FN ones. The FN's had a claw extractor, the others did not. Whick one is yours?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is true that there were two iterations of FN Mausers used in the Browning Safaris (three if you count the short-lived small ring Mause used only the first year or so of production for the .243 and .308).

The later FN actions with a thumb safety on the right-hand side used the Sako #4 trigger. Older actions with the wing safety on the left side are as described by WJW above.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
It is true that there were two iterations of FN Mausers used in the Browning Safaris (three if you count the short-lived small ring Mause used only the first year or so of production for the .243 and .308).

The later FN actions with a thumb safety on the right-hand side used the Sako #4 trigger. Older actions with the wing safety on the left side are as described by WJW above.

I have one of the FN's and it has a side thumb safety on the RIGHT side. It is not a Sako trigger, it is as WJW indicated with the two hinge pins, one for the sear, the other for the trigger.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Browning Safari rifles on FN M-98 actions, one a large ring 30-06, the other a small ring .308. Both have the trigger (and safety) that WJW and Jim Kobe described.

Posts: 266 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
WJW is correct in his assesment of the "Belgian" Browning trigger. I have worked on a number of them, even converted some to my swing type safety. The other trigger was usually found on the "Sako" Brownings, not the FN ones. The FN's had a claw extractor, the others did not. Whick one is yours?

Mine has the claw extractor and thumb safety. There is only one adjustment for the trigger. It has a spring and lock nut. Lightening the pull weight seems to increase overtravel. The spring could be shortened as WJW indicated. This might be a better way to go.

Thanks for the help.

Dirtsmith

Jim