New
Find
Notify
Tools

blueing a Rem. bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While gazing into the gun cabinet a while back, my newly rebarreled 30-06 imp. just didn't look right. The barrel is bead blasted matte blue, the stock was finished in a light walnut matte stain, and the Pentax 3-9, rings and bases are matte blue. Then it hit me! The bolt body is still in the original condition as it came from Remington. I have seen rifles with their bolts totally blued and was wondering if my bolt can be blued to match the barrel? Will the bluing last or will I end up with a bunch of the bluing worn off and have streaks running the length of the bolt? What should I expect to pay for the job?
Any suggestions would be great!
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Yes you can have the bolt blued to match the rest of the bluing on the rifle. Yes there will eventually be some wear marks on the bolts body but this shouldn't be too big a deal. I would immagine that having the entire bolt matte blued will run you somewheres between $30.00 - $50.00.

Malm

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
to get it to match the matte it would have to be beadblasted first, then blued. I have touched the bolt up on my gun with some aftermarket bluing products. My bolt got shiny on the ball from years of use, easy to touch up. Hey, i see you are in Colorado too. You should look up Greg Tannel at Gre'-tan rifles if you want some quality work!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcatcher223,
Where in CO. is Greg's shop? Do you have a phone number I could reach him at?
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
He is in Kersey. Where are you located? I will email you the number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcatcher223,
I'm about 1hr. north of Denver. I know where Kersey is as I used to work in Greeley. It's not a very big town so he shouldn't be too hard to find. I would appreciate any info. you have for him so I could talk to him and work out the details!
Thanks,
Elk Country

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Sent you the number, not hard to find his place. I am in Loveland so we are in the same neck of the woods.