New
Find
Notify
Tools

J-Lock replacement ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a firing pin assembly for a Remington 700 short action to replace the J-lock system presently in it. I want a firing pin, spring, and shroud that are benchrest competition quality. What do you recommend and where to purchase the best available?

Thanks, Lonnie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lonnie:

Greg Tannel [GTR at (970) 353-6176] makes a benchrest tolerance shroud, firing pin and spring assembly. He also has a fluted firing pin which is apparently lighter than a titanium one. Greg is in Kersey, Colorado.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you just want to get rid of the ISS bolt shroud send me a PM with your address and I’ll send you one. I recently installed an American Rifleworks steel shroud on one of my 700’s and still have the factory shroud (without the ISS feature) laying out in my shop.

Stock Remington 700’s have one of the fastest lock times out there. I have some with stock pins/springs and two with Tubb’s speed-lock units...and I’ll be damned if I can distinguish a difference.

You‘re only are talking about a few millionth’s of a second anyways! If you’re into serious bench rest competition that might make a bit of difference...but for anything else do yourself a favor and stick with the stock assembly.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM'ed you Rick

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hairtrigger:
PM'ed you Rick

Got your PM and sent one back.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote