New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win - Featherweight shimmed 7x57
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings
I purchased a win featherweight XTR 7x57 and when removing the barreled action, I found a shim that was pinched between the mag well and action. I made the mistake of removing it and cartages now double stack or 2 rounds will pop out at once. So I guess the inside rails of a 30/06 actions were cut wrong for 7x57& 257 Roberts. It took some playing in putting the shim back in and finally got it correct so the bolt would not bind and rounds would not double stack...

This is a cheap shot from winchester back then to make a longer action work. Has anybody wore out the lip of the rail and just wondering how much problems with this fix?
Thanks
A.C.

Posts: 8 | Location: Vancouver Wa | Registered: 26 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert on the M70's various offerings, but I don't recall ever seeing the "shim" you are referring to, or, are you referring to the magazine box spacer? I've never seen any feed trouble when the spacer was used. And they're not too dificult to assemble with some practice.

As far as wearing the feed rails to the point of not working, forget it. As long as you don't go after them with a file, you're great grandkids will still be able to get the thing to feed.

Just a thought, if we are talking about the mag box spacer, you might be able to have the spacer TIG'ed in place by a gunsmith who knows what he's doing so you don't have to deal with that aspect anymore.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like the box spacer. if so, isn't it because M70s are one size receivers withthe internals simply adjusted to accomodate the various cartridges?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
My Model 70 FWT XTR 7x57 feeds flawlessly and there is no shim like you describe. So do my .257 FWT XTR and 6.5x55 XTR. Never had a factory Model 70 that wouldn't feed properly. Sounds like your action may have been monkeyed with and needed a shim to make it work properly.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is probably my all-time favorite factory bolt ation rifle. Great stock design - both aesthetically and ergonomically - great cartridges and mine (.257R) shot and functioned wonderfully. I didn't recognize a keeper when I had it.
Chisana knows what a good rifle is!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1822 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote