New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griffin & Howe ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just aquired a Remington 1903A3 that has been sporterized and has a Griffin & Howe side scope mount. I knojw nothing about the mount but have aways heard exceptional things about Griffin & Howe.
Any opinions on this mount??

Put your nose to the grindstone, your belly to the ground, and your shoulder to the wheel. Now try to work in that position!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure like them, then that's a personal opinion and I would venture to say it's not popular with people on this forum from what I read. It sure leaves the rifle "clean" for using iron sights. Also scope can be removed for traveling.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set on one of my Pre 64 M-70 .375 H&H. I do like them a lot. The rifle holds zero very well when taken on and off. Makes use of iron sights very easy. Just remember, they run around $3-400 plus mounting, and once they are on, if you ever take them off, the left side of the rifle has some very ugly holes in it. In my Winchester's case, right through the word WINCHESTER.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the screw heads and pins of the base were machined smooth and polished and blued over, the likelihood is that G&H installed the mount. if the screws and pins show, an outside gunsmith bought the mount and fitted it. Most outside smiths did not bother with cleaning up the appearance of the base the way G&H did - and still does.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I have a Griffin & Howe mount also thanks to my favorite brother. Someday I will put it along with a 3X scope on a Springfield rifle copied in the Griffin & Howe style in either 35 or 400 Whelen. I am leaning towards the latter. Thank you vigillinus for posting that tidbit about the screwes and pins. I will make sure that mine are done like Griffin & Howe does them. Wink

Right now though I am trying to put together a Springfield that will hopefully be a replica of the Wundhammer Sporting Springfields made about 1910. Trying to collect pieces to make these rifles look authentic is almost as fun as building them. Smiler

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, I have a Wundhammer Krag, very neat little rifle. I think Michael Petrov has one or more Wundhammer 1903s. And he has pictures. If you ask him nicely he might post them for you or mail you copies to use as starting points for your project. They have a schnable and side panels like a Sauer Mauser.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
vigillinus

Michael has graciously sent me several pictures of one of the original Wundhammer Springfield sporters. They were a great help in rounding up the correct parts. I originally thought of using a Lyman 48 receiver sight but he has convinced me to use one that is more similair to the ones used on the original sporters. The schnable and side panels are two of the reasons that I always admired these rifles.

A DHT 1903 Springfield Armory action will be used rather than a low numbered one, but I hope to locate the rest of the parts necessary. The early Lyman receiver sight is being a bit of a challenge and the one I have is not really the best, but I will no doubt find another some day. All in all it has been fun collecting the pieces for the project.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared,

So what is the correct Lyman sight that you'll be looking for?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a Lyman 34. A Lyman 33 looks similair but I have been advised it is probably a 34.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sight in question.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that. I just pulled out my copy of Stroebel. The pics of the Lyman 33 & 34 aren't too good but at least I've got an idea now.

I also re-read the section on the 48. Seems it was patented in 1911. That would only put it out a year or so from your 1910 date.

400 Whelan will be a nice project. Hope to see pictures posted as it progreses.

- Stu

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Michael. That's a much better picture than what's in my copy Stroebel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 33 has friction windage - peep has to be tapped back and forth, and 34 has a windage screw. Or maybe it's the other way around. I have some of the windage screw versions on a 95 Winchester and on Krags, the screws turn too easily and maybe I should put a drop of the soft loctite on after sight-in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love those old Griffen and Howe side mounts and they have always worked great for me..Jack Belk says the tend to scatter shots sideways, but I think that must have been from using worn mounts or improperly installed mounts...

Tony Barnes installed a pair on an old 375 Mauser I had, and he first centered the scope in its focal plane, then bore sighted it as he installed the base..The first shot was an inch below center..not to shabby...that gun always returned to exact zero taking the scope off and on between shots...and I love the way it leaves the receiver clean when the scope is off....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote