New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lengthen 20 ga. to 3" chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a forcing cone reamer be used to lengthen a 20 ga. chamber from 2 1/2 to 3" or should a chamber ream be used?

Pro Deo et Pro Patria
DRSS-St. Petersburg,FL chapter
NRA-Lifer

Posts: 45 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, that should not be an issue here, but which do I use? the chamber ream or forcing cone ream?I am not concerned with forcing cone region as this is a rifled barrel for slugs
Thanks

Pro Deo et Pro Patria
NRA-Lifer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use a chamber reamer...it has the correct taper out to 3 inch. 4D reamer rentals has one for rent...

http://www.4-dproducts.com/index.php

Ditto what Wayne said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, yes we have used them before in a 12...good prices too.

Pro Deo et Pro Patria
NRA-Lifer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to what type of gun has a 2-1/2" chamber on a rifled barrel?

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious as to what type of gun has a 2-1/2" chamber on a rifled barrel?

If, and I don't know, this is a Manufrance Fusil Robust side-by-side (it probably isn't) then that rifles barrel is not for slug but for use on woodcock gam birds at short range with convetional #8 shot and a fibre wad cartridge.

Or a French Breton make o/u shot gun too.

To give a wide spread as the bird gets up at your feet and then starts to Jink to left and right. I don't think that the rifling would be of any use with a slug as it is not what it was designed to do.

So the bore may be too wide for a rifled slug to actually come int contact with that rifling.

OTOH this may be all irrelevant as it may not be that sort of gun at all!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you getting the 2 1/2' measurement from the shot shell or from measuring the actual chamber?

most "2 3/4" shells are actually closer to 2 1/2" and most 3 inch shells are closer to 2 3/4.

They are 2 3/4 or 3" after they are shot; the folded crimp is opened.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought into longer forcing cones and bought reamers. I used each one (12, 16 & 20) exactly one time each and realized you don't take away metal where it's needed most in front of the chamber.

Should probably sell the damn things.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote