New
Find
Notify
Tools

action screw torque?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How much do you tighten the action screws on wood stocked mod 700 bdl rem.? Front screw? Back? The barrel has been floated but the action has not been bedded in the stock. Thanks!!

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw the answer of 65 inch lbs on a previous post. I thought that was for synthetic stocks. Opinions?

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
you dont want so tight that you crush the wood.
Set the barreled action in the stock and support the floated barrel. I use a rubber o-ring. alternate fron front to back tighten the action screws evenly i put my hand on the barrel and fore arm so i can feel if the stock is moving. tight is tight..
use correct blade, screw fit.
I usually set the torque wreench to 40-45 inch lbs
If the action fits the wood it should be enough.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just saw the answer of 65 inch lbs on a previous post. I thought that was for synthetic stocks. Opinions?

Regardless of which material you use for your stock, the action needs to be held level and tight. Consistency is the key to accuracy and so the stated torque setting is used as a measurable objective to assure that the action is anchored firmly in the stock, that the action is held in place at both ends, uniformly, with the same amount of torque, and that it can be repeated. If the stock material is such that it can't support a firm, repeatable torque load, then you will need to correct it, or, you will forever be chasing the dot so-to-speak.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why you should have your wooden stocked rifles pillar bedded.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
This is why you should have your wooden stocked rifles pillar bedded.

It makes it SO much easier....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys!