New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoothing out Rem 700 SPS Varmint 204ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At the outset, I must admit to having been spoiled by the silky smooth actions of my older Sako 461s and a number of Tikka T3s.

Just purchased the above Rem 700 Varmint ( and I am not into Rem bashing, if I was, why would I have bought it!).

It has only fired a handful of rounds, however the action is a rough as all hell. I find it a real shock from the Tikkas that I have purchased over the last few years.

Is this a common gripe? I would not have thougt so, and really it is borderline agricultural.

The potential answer that it may smooth up with use is not all that satisfactory to the user of a brand new rifle and one which, whilst not among Rems dearer versions, is on a diff planet to the lovely smooth action of the LVSF that I tried and may be should have purchased.

Have given some thought to having a Stiller action fitted ( not cheap AU$ 1,400), but if this means that the action will free up to an acceptable standard, then so be it.

I warmly welcome suggestions and again repeat that I am not knocking Rem. Could not be happier with my 700 BDL .17.Rem.

Thanks guys ( and ladies).

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From years past, many shooters used the Rem. 700 action for Across The Course/High Power shooting matches and there you are required to deliver 10 shots at 200-300 yards in 60-70 seconds for rapid fire using 5 round stripper clips to recharge the magazine. Bolt obviously needs to work very smoothly and surely. When the action/bolt seemed to be on the rough side a common treatment was to use a bore cleaner known as Rem Clean which is a petroleum carrier w/ fine grade abrasive material and literally work the bolt back and forth many times with the above coated on the raceways of the action and the obvious places on the bolt itself. Some would take the trigger out, firing pin assy., plug the chamber, etc., but it does not take much of the substance to smooth/slick up the operation of the bolt and I personally did not remove anything. Might consider polishing the follower as well, for two polished surfces are better than one. Only major modification done to the Remington 700 to make it an excellent rapid fire action was to extend the bolt handle which is quite short. Might try the above for it is low cost and does work. Good Luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using a very fine lapping compound, Rem 700's will lap out really slick. The differance is amazing.

dsiteman is correct in advising to plug the chamber, remove trigger assembly and cocking piece and firing pin assembly.

Be sure to thoroughly wash out all traces of compound when you are through.

Typical fee in the states for this job is about $45.00.

Craftsman

Posts: 1543 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 BDL .17Rem.

This is a lovely rifle.

It makes the new SPS Varmint feel like a piece of neglected farm machinery.

Has there been such a quantum change in Rem production quality, or QC, since I purchased the BDL. Honestly, you would not know the same company made them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Not living in the USA makes the ready availability of the products you mentioned not as easy for me.

Midway don't export i'nationally.

Sinclairs/Brownells have sent me a fair amount of gear still permitted with all the terrorism restictions.

Are you able to recommend anything from the Sinclairs etc that I could have sent to Australia?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a local engine rebuild shop, auto repair center, etc. and buy, beg, steal, etc. some very mild valve grinding compound. That would work. Also find a jewelery store, speak with the jeweler and inquire about jeweler's rouge, polishing compound, and sure they would have it.
Motorcycle shops polish their engine cases with a product I believe known as "cemi chrome," pink in color, paste substance, and will work as well.
Doubt that even the terrorists have found a way to use these items in nasty ways unless they are polishing their bolt guns!! Too late for them anyway for contrary to the press these days, we are killing them about as fast as the buggers can stick their ugly heads up and that is a good thing!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote