New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claw mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a rifle that had a Leupold 3x9 compact scope mounted in claw mounts. The front ring mount was around the front bell of the scope. This scope is 33MM diameter at that point. What are the chances a 36MM scope bell such as Swarovski could be substituted using the existing rings? Is there anything that can be done short of a new front ring? It is a great Westley Richards rifle and it deserves a best scope. beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You'll probably need a new front ring. Maybe front AND rear rings. The geometry of setting up claw mounts is fairly precise.

Duane Wiebe or Lee LeBas are your best bets for getting squared away.

There's the off chance that your existing ring has enough steel to allow it to be lapped to 36 mm. It's a long-shot though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the Leupold?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I recently purchased a rifle that had a Leupold 3x9 compact scope mounted in claw mounts. The front ring mount was around the front bell of the scope. This scope is 33MM diameter at that point. What are the chances a 36MM scope bell such as Swarovski could be substituted using the existing rings? Is there anything that can be done short of a new front ring? It is a great Westley Richards rifle and it deserves a best scope. beer

Give your rifle a scope from Gerhardt Nickel!
It would a classic.
Leopold scopes belong to the weatherby folks jump

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NECG can adapt a new scope to existing claws but it's not cheap, around $800 last I checked.

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like to me your fixing something that ain't broke!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
It is a great Westley Richards rifle and it deserves a best scope. beer

You're exactly right... it does deserve a "best" scope.

Don't let these "nay-sayers" get you off track. Wink

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947