New
Find
Notify
Tools

New barrel cleaner sought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After this bottle of Hoppe's Bench Rest No 9 is finished I'm on the hunt for something else.

I'm allways getting the stuff on my hands and allthough I like the smell it must be pretty harmful in the long run with all those benzene rings in it.

I want a barrel cleaner that isn't carcinogenic, preferably doesn't stink, doesn't damage the bore if left in, doesn't ruin bluing, doesn't need any fancy plugs to stop things running out, doesn't have electrodes and doesn't need lots of passes up and down.

Anything left after that list?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
You might try the "Ed's Red" stuff that you make yourself from transmission fluid and stuff. They're talking about it a few posts down; maybe someone there can give you the formula.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd say you are a candidate for either Forrest bore foam or Wipeout.

The other suggestion is one of the paste cleaners (JB, IOSSO, Flitz), but you will still need a cleaner to finish up. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with Wipeout. Spray it in the bore (it comes out like shaving foam). Let it sit, patch it out. Repeat as required. Works really well and the labour involvment is low. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation for Wipe Out. This stuff is really great. And I agree with you about the fumes from the other products. They can't be good for you when the warnings say: Use in well ventilated space.

Try some Wipe Out and let us know what you think. I am sold on it. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post

Check this thread for the Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner:

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003847

I have just started using it, and it matches your requirement list. [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Give Wipeout a try. I think you will like it very much.

Posts: 21 | Location: Mt.Cheaha | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick_D>
posted

Griff is ordering in a case of Wipeout. I've asked if I can buy some from him - maybe you could too. It was late June when we discussed it, so maybe he's got it by now.

Griff, if you read this, what's the situation?

Patrick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Butches Bore Shine and have been very happy with it in my target and hunting rifles for both jacketed and cast bullet shooting, and its safe to soak with.

Posts: 1498 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WipeOut [Smile]

[ 09-15-2002, 06:06: Message edited by: Nutoy ]

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want something that is cheap (4$ GALLON) and works immediatly on copper fouling (like Sweets, Butchs does not) try industrial ammonia. It does have a major odor, will have to be used outside but it works so fast you won't care. I grew very frustrated using all the other $16 per jigger potions out there that still left copper deposits till I found this on the web.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<genesispg>
posted
Try Pro Shot's Copper Solvent IV. It does not stink and works very well for me. www.proshotproducts.com