New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a plastic stock quieter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to quiet down a remington plastic stock for a model 700 ADL. I am thinking of taking the rubber buttplate off and putting foam into the butt, or beads of caulk along the inside of the butt.

Has anyone done anything similar to quiet a stock? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Not a bad idea,

In Australia here we used to be able to by a product at our local hardware store called "SPACE FILLER" foam

It was in a spray can, and you attached a nosel to it, start spaying deep and and then work outwards

It actually grows in size and expands about 10:1 so be careful

You might also look at putting camo tape on the outside or a sock, a lot of the noise comes from contact with the outside of the stock as well

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a rattle in the hollow core of my Remy 22-250 stock. I unscrewed the sling stud and stuck the straw of a can of foam in the hole and partially filled the cavity with foam. I then shook the stock to entrap the rattling bit. It hasn't been a problem since.

It'd recommend using the non-expanding type of foam. Also, clean-up with the urethane type is a mess.

Unscrew the rear stud and see if you have access to the cavity before you pull the recoil pad.

Good luck

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to quiet down a remington plastic stock for a model 700 ADL. I am thinking of taking the rubber buttplate off and putting foam into the butt, or beads of caulk along the inside of the butt

I've used the expanding foam from the hardware store. Works fine. Be sure to cover the outside with masking tape because it will grow out of the stock. Let it set and clean up is easier.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took off the buttpads of both of my Sako Finnlites and shot in "Great Stuff" expanding foam. I let it grow out of the back and after it dried, I trimmed off the excess and stuck the recoil pad back on. It took care of the hollow sound that they had before and only added a couple well spent ounces to the rifles..................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had all the buttstocks of my Blaser R93 synthetic stocks foam filled - expanding foam. I did not do it myself, but apparently the process can be a bit of a mess. The results have been good, though.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You might find the "minimum expanding" type foam is easier to work with. It will expand and fill the space but won't be as apt to run everywhere.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing is quieter than a really nice piece of walnut Big Grin clap

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
<<nothing is quieter than a really nice piece of walnut>>

I have to disagree. I went to the fabric store and bought some green felt. I then cut up a pattern and glued it to my synthetic stock. It now is the quietest stock possible and it looks great Smiler

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Dont know if the Rem stock is molded in two peices or not, but a customer way back wanted a 22lr stock done with the expandng foam. Damn near came apart. Foam came out of the seams and made for one nice mess. Didnt come apart but it was a real chore to clean up and look right. That stuff really expands... Big Grin

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was that one of the Remington Nylon 22's? I could see that happening.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
No sir, wasnt a nylon 66. Cant for the life of me remember the brand, some cheapy. The Nylon 66 is actually sought after around here.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
<<nothing is quieter than a really nice piece of walnut>>

I have to disagree. I went to the fabric store and bought some green felt. I then cut up a pattern and glued it to my synthetic stock. It now is the quietest stock possible and it looks great Smiler
Love to see a photo of that beauty!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I put epoxy inside the butt stock,and I try to "bridge" across the sides .I pack a little newspaper in and then pour in some epoxy to make a solid wall across the inside of the stock.Really quiets it down.Also put in some in the foreend,but it makes them heavy if you dont be careful. Wink

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote