New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rugger M77 trigger pull
 Login/Join

<6.5 WWH>
posted
My M77 Ruger 22-250 heavy barrel has a terrible pull. There is a set screw on the the trigger, but no matter how much I adjust it the range is 6 to 9 pounds measured with my RCBS pull gauge. What can I do? Thanks, BruceB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a custom 7mm Dokota built on a Mod 77 action. I had an after market trigger installed and the trigger breaks nicely at about 2 pounds now. Rugers have notoriously had bad factory triggers. I believe that Timiney and perhaps some others now make Ruger replacement triggers.

GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a current model Ruger 77 VT. The trigger was worked on by my gunsmith and now releases very cleanly at 2lb.

Don't play with it yourself. Give it to a smith. You don't have to go to an aftermarket trigger.

If you must work on it, there are some instructions at http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/rugervt.html

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It's easy to do. Just change or cut the spring. This will lighten the pull. Clean the sear surfaces and if you have some moly rub it on them.

If the backlash is of concern then put some epoxy on the opposing surfaces and file the hard epoxy to the right fit.

That's all there is to it unless you want a really fine trigger and then you can stone some metal off of the sear travel.

It's easy.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I am only slightly mechanical and I replaced my Whelen Special Edition with a Timney. It was too easy. I thought I must have forgotten to do something. It breaks perfectly at 2 1/2 lbs. No creep, no overtravel. If you can trim your own fingernails, you should be able to handle the install.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5 WWH:
My M77 Ruger 22-250 heavy barrel has a terrible pull. There is a set screw on the the trigger, but no matter how much I adjust it the range is 6 to 9 pounds measured with my RCBS pull gauge.

I take it you have the older 77 with the tang safety -- that means some of the advise you're getting here isn't applicable.

I helped a friend install a Timney on a Mark II -- it took it down to 3.5 lbs. and very consistent but there sure was a lot of metal to file off to clear the safety.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<6.5 WWH>
posted
Thanks for the help. The information is very much appreciated. Mine has a tang safety. BruceB

one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5: I've got 3 Rugers with the tang safety. Two have Ruger triggers, and one has a Timney. Personally I prefer the reworked Ruger. The Timney is not hard to install, but you will have to cut some clearance in the stock, and it uses the Ruger safety.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know if this good advice but I just had my trigger done by the smith on my MK11 30/06 and now it breaks at 2 1/2 pounds. I would maybe save your money and just have it worked.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<migra>
posted
John Frazer is right. A lot of the advice your getting is refering to the Ruger 77 MKII. Completely different trigger than the older IMHO better tang safety version. The allen bolt you are tightening and loosening doesn't have any effect on pull. The trigger is adjustble but you have to pull the action out of the wood to get to the adjustment screws. If you're mechanically inclined, you can do this job yourself if not, take it to a smith. Both of my Rugers have factory triggers and both are crisp, no overtravel, no creep and under two pounds.

<waldog>
posted
I just bought an older Ruger tang safety rifle from Paul White here on AR. Had him send it directly to my gunsmith. Upon inspection it was a fine rifle and exactly what he said it would be. But the trigger was stiff with lots of travel and felt gritty. Right there, in a matter of minutes my gunsmith disassembled the trigger, stoned a few surfaces, reassembled, and adjusted the trigger. Now the trigger breaks crisp, clean, and consistently at 1.7 lbs.

This trigger is second only to my Basix triggers and not by very much! Save your pennies and have someone who knows tweak it. It's a fine trigger!

FWIW

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 1970's vintage Ruger M77 30-06 has a great adjustable trigger.

The newer Rugger trigger is a bugger.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote