Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Superposed Gunsmith Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
As you may have in an earlier post, I have 1958 12 gauge and I just bought my a 1955 20 gauge, and the plan is to send them in to Midwest Gun Works to have them restored.

The question I have are these the best folks to use? Seems everything related to Superposeds point to them. I definitely want someone that has lots of experience working with this shotguns.

Overall, both of the shotguns are tight and the metal is in very good shape (action, inside of barrel, barrel bluing). There are one or two spots that need touching up on the outside of the barrels, but it is very, very minor. I do want an assessment of the actions and check for wear and replace any parts (trigger group comes to mind). Also, may have the receivers refinished to match each other. The 20 gauge has some engraving that needs to removed from the bottom latching takedown lever (probably can just replace).

One area that Midwest seemed to be priced extremely high on was the stock work - and what they had priced online was limited. I basically want to restock both shotguns with very high grade walnut in a satin oil finish - with original stocks lines and checkering. Perhaps the current stocks are salvageable, but they have some deep gouges and the checkering is badly worn down on the 20 gauge. I don't know on the recoil pads/butt plates yet. I'd like to return mine to a factory butt-plate, but even with the current decelerator on there, you can feel it after hammering birds all day. I'm afraid a mercury tube will affect the balance. My son is recovering from some muscle back injuries and may have problems the remainder of his life, so definitely need to tame the recoil (one reason I went with the 20 gauge for him).

Finally, I plan to have thin-walled choke systems installed in both.

I may have Midwest do the metal work and work with one of the stock makers separately to do the stocks.

So, any recommendations on Superposed gunsmiths would be appreciated (whether just metal or the whole thing) and recommendations for stock makers that specialize in shotguns (I have spoken to Paul Dressel on some rifle stuff, his stock work looks amazing. Also, I saw the recommendation for Client Meier in this forum and checked out his stuff as well, he has some two stock work).

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art's Gunshop is the top shop for Brownings although Midwest is also top of the line.
If Art's does the work the value will not go down on a Superposed. It sounds like an aftermarket pad has already been put on so it's already not original. Can't put an original butt plate because the original stocks are curved to fit the factory butplate.
If you want more information on Brownings than you can stand, go to Shotgunworld.com and go to the "I love my Browning" section. Really helpfull guys there with a world of knowledge.
I would like to make one request, please don't put screw in chokes in your barrels. Learn to use the chokes you have.
I've been wanting a twenty like yours before they went to 3" chambers forever.
Couldn't have picked a finer shotgun in my mind, although my mind isn't what it used to be!

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
The decelerator on my 12 gauge was fitted to the factory curve of the stock, so it wasn't cut Smiler The 20 gauge came with a pad and was already cut straight.

Yep - maybe the screw-in chokes are not a good idea on such fine shotguns (plus it will save $$$). When you say learn how to use the chokes I have, you mean find the right load that works best for each situation?

Thanks for the recommendation on Art. I will give him a call.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Browning Citori made by sharon dressel is a real beauty-"understated elelegance"..I remember seeing some Winchesters displayed in a window showcase at a local gunstore some twenty years ago.They were selling for a few thousand a piece and they were really nice-especially one with a red stock.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
+1 on Art's Gunshop.

www.artsgunshop.com

Ask Art for the name of the stock duplicator in Montana and then contact them about the stockwork.

Donnie Gemes of Showme Gunstocks stocks Brownings but he left me high and dry for over a year so I can't recommend him.

Freer Gunshop in Houston is another resource for you. They have a long history of working on Superposeds and have done some good work for me. If you have them stock your guns, they are going to send them to the place in Montana.

On one of my own Superposeds that had well over a hundred thousands rounds through it, I sent it to Art for a rebuild of the action and then sent it to Duane Wiebe for complete rework of the metal and a beautiful new stock. The only problem is that all that work set me back more than the cost of an all original Diana Grade.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as I'm spending someone else's money, might as well recommend Steven Dodd Hughes. In one of books he has a picture of a Superposed he did. First class work!!!

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

Freer Gunshop in Houston is another resource for you. They have a long history of working on Superposeds and have done some good work for me. If you have them stock your guns, they are going to send them to the place in Montana.

As per Forrest post, I have used rRichard Freer for 20 plus years. He is likely the most knowledgeable Browning gunsmith still alive. But yes he will send out itemsor tell you who does.

Might also check with Tip Burns of Canyon Sporting Arms. I know John is a heck of a stock guy although not Browning specific per se. He does some expensive gun stock work. Any metal work Tip can likely do - or will tell you who does.

Just dont get too far ahead of me!

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote