New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser M96 Trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a sporterised M96 Mauser (circa 1900) which I use for pig hunting here in Australia. It is the only rifle I own with a military style 2 stage trigger and for the life of me I just can'y get used to it. I want to replace it with an adjustable trigger, but here in Oz we do not have a great choice of replacement parts or knowledge of them. Has anybody on this site had any experience with changing triggers on this rifle if so, what are your recomendations.

Aussie Frank [Confused]

Posts: 53 | Location: Bundaberg,Queensland , Australia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timmney is the simplest quality trigger for the swede. I don't have one on my '96, but I put one on my '98. It took all of 10 minutes. Yet, the cheaper rount I did with my swede is simply lightening the spring stoning back the sear engagement (shortening the notch) then stoning (lightly) and polishing both trigger and sear w/ jewelers rouge. It is stll two stage, but the first stage is much lighter and the trigger breaks crisp and clean at about 4#. Took me a couple of hours, but didn't cost a dime.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway has a trigger for sale now that is much like a Timney. It is around 25-30USD. It is simple to install. You push out the pin and remove the military trigger. You put the new in place and replace the pin. If memory serves, you tighten a set screw until the unit is tight, and it is installed. Follow the instructions for adjustment.

If you want to try to work with the military trigger, take the action out, and work the bolt and pull the trigger a few times. You will see why and how the two stage trigger works. What you want to do is grind off the hump and make it a one stage trigger. You can adjust the amount of pull by cutting links off the trigger spring (or replacing it.)

With either job, make damn sure that when cocked, you can drop the piece and NOT have it go click! Ku-dude

If I have messed up guys, save him! K-d

[ 11-05-2002, 09:04: Message edited by: Ku-dude ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Frank:

I, like Beartrack, have only had experience with Mauser 98s. I have 3, 1 with a Timney and 2 with Dayton-Traister's. I prefer the Daytons, because 1)I have found them easier to install than the Timney(although neither are difficult)and 2) less wood removal is required(the Dayton has nearly the same configuation as the military trigger). Performance of the two brands are virtually identical.

Dayton-Traister Web Site

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Frank
I have a timmney on my M96, can't fault it.

Bakes

Posts: 8056 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Ku-dude---

I'll have to step in with the military adjustment deal. What you suggest is extremely dangerous.

Cutting the coils off the sear spring (the trigger doesn't have a spring) reduces the securiety against inertial firing by the weight of the trigger if the gun is dropped on it's butt.
DON'T do it!!

Also, Grinding the first stage hump off the trigger just doubles the travel of the sear before release and increases the trigger pull. If you want the technical description of the mechanics and geometry involved drop me an email and I'll send it.

The change to an over-ride trigger system, like a DT, Timney, et al will give a nice single-stage pull without creep or backlash.
Just understand that override triggers are mechanically less secure but suitable for sporting use if properly adjusted. Be SURE to stake the attachment screw in place if it doesn't have a locking nut. SECURE that screw!! If it loosens the rifle can fire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,
Thanks for the warning.

The name of the after market trigger my senile brain could not remember was Bold. Natchez carries them. Someone has them on sale right now. I put one in a Swede and it works well and was easy to install. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Timney trigger on my M96/38 sporter and I like it very much - I had a gunsmith put it in but it was still less than $50

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Frank, try Pro-Cal Trading in Victoria. Peter Van Meurs is the fellows name and he has all the kinds of replacement triggers and parts that are hard to get in Oz.

I have an M38 Swede, and I do not think the military trigger is that bad.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I have a single stage I got from Numeritch for something like 6 or 7 bucks and like mentioned above it was just the bump ground flat, it would be ok but now it has too much creep. if I cant smooth it out I think I may go either back to the 2 stage or pop for a timney.

A double set assembly would be nice.. [Smile]

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote