New
Find
Notify
Tools

replace extractor?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been hitting the range getting ready for my safari in May and I have been ringing out my pre 64 300 H&H and pre 64 375 H&H customs to make sure they don't have any issues.

I have shot my 375 at the range now about 4-5 different times with no issues until this trip. The rifle was basically not releasing the rounds or just dropping them on top of the box. The extrator was holding the rounds but they weren't getting thrown.

My 300 H&H for comparison was throwing them 15+ feet away.

I went home and cleaned the 375 bolt which was filthy from me working on smoothing things out by working the bolt over and over and it now ejects the same as always but not what you would call "briskly".

Should I not worry now that it is fixed with the cleaning or should I look to getting a new extractor as mine is getting weak?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I have been hitting the range getting ready for my safari in May and I have been ringing out my pre 64 300 H&H and pre 64 375 H&H customs to make sure they don't have any issues.

I have shot my 375 at the range now about 4-5 different times with no issues until this trip. The rifle was basically not releasing the rounds or just dropping them on top of the box. The extrator was holding the rounds but they weren't getting thrown.

My 300 H&H for comparison was throwing them 15+ feet away.

I went home and cleaned the 375 bolt which was filthy from me working on smoothing things out by working the bolt over and over and it now ejects the same as always but not what you would call "briskly".

Should I not worry now that it is fixed with the cleaning or should I look to getting a new extractor as mine is getting weak?

Remember, the extractor holds the case, and the ejector pushes it out. I wouldn't worry so much about the extractor being bad as I would that it doesn't have sufficient grip to firmly hold onto the case so the ejector can send it flying.

Pull the bolt from the gun and clip an empty under the extractor. The extractor has to hold the case with enough tension to keep it from falling out when you move the bolt around with with a little force. If the extractor won't hold the case, then the extractor tension needs adjusting. You might seek the services of a gunsmith for that.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote