New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duracoat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody with real experience with Duracoat? That is application and durability.

Thanks.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody......Nobody?

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've had it on one rifle, a varmint rifle. Of the three I've tried it was the best. I had the manufacturer apply it. I wouldn't trust myself or any other home made oven applicator to properly apply any of the coatings.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go over to http://www.snipershide.com and ask a member by the name of "Hateca". He builds rifles and applies the Duracoat system. If it works on the tactical rigs these guys beat and bang around in those sniper matches, it has to be tough stuff. I seem to recall a thread where a guy who had been to school for automotive paint stated that the spray on and other DIY types would never fully cure because they were missing some sort of catalyst or thinner or something. The bake on stuff and other types of applications were in his opinion a much tougher way to go. I am planning on having a rifle sent to Hateca with a new stock to have the whole thing duracoated in a camo pattern.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OddBall2:
Anybody with real experience with Duracoat? That is application and durability.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about Duracoat. I sure do like Mac's Restorations "Tuffcoat". It consists of sand blasting the steel, parkerizing and then applying KG Gunkote. Mac's prices and service are first rate. Search for Mac's Restorations on the web.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Duracoat (twice) and KG Guncoate (several). Duracoat is much tougher. It applies easy with an airbrush. Metal prep, as with any product is everything.

Hubert

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished two rifles with duracoat. Once I got the air brush spraying right everything went well. I used matte black and it looks great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What exactly is duracoat made from? I went to Lauer's web site and could not find any information about its constituent elements. Is it a phenolic resin like KG Gunkote or something different?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a 2 part epoxy, other than that I don't know. Has good "pot life". Needs acetone for cleanup.

Hubert

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote