New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Peep Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did we ever find a source for Bolt Peep Sights?

I believe someone said they were going to take a JC machine shop course and maybe fabricate a few of them.

I know Jeffe and some others expressed some interest in this.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone came up with this mfr in Germany. They offer the extended cocking piece as well.

Might be worth asking NECG if Recknagel make these, also.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw an interesting pop up peep site over at brockmans. So far he ony makes it for the model 70. I want one for my marlin 45/70
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gadge-

That sight is pretty much what I'm looking for.
I cannot find any prices on that site.

I kind of don't like the design of it, seems to me that there is no windage adjustment and the elevation is just loosening the big thumbwheel and sliding the aperture up and down.

I am thinking of making one myself where the aperture is identical on both sides, and it is on the head of a fine screw like a 32 or 48 tpi. There will be a lock screw on the back and flats on the sides of the aperture for the set screw to tighten down on.
Also, the dovetail potition will be in two parts like a gib where there will be a screw through the ouside block and into the gib on the inside of the dovetail so you can lossen it, adjust windage, then tighten it back down.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Spencer,

I believe that sight does have both windage & elevation by loosening that set screw.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ShopCartRacing: That sight is pretty much what I'm looking for. I cannot find any prices on that site. Spencer

About $400

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NECG has them for about $350 as I recall...You can also get them in RSA, but don't recall who has them, but they are a stock item for one of the better known gunsmith there.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Spencer:

The Holland and Holland sight that I sent you the photo of does have "some" windage adjustment. If you will look at the photo you can see an aperture insert. The hole in that insert is drilled off center. That's were the windage adjustment comes from.

The sight is "sighted in" by adjusting the windage first, then the elevation is set and the locking notch is filed into the base.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$350-400 for something that you still have to fit yourself!? Eeker Eeker roflmao

I will DEFINATELY be making my own.

It is going on a 96 Swede so with the tall striker with the knurled back end, I figure there will be more meat to tighten the sight down onto and I can also cut the dovetail above the firing pin.

Good god that is an overpriced item.

Roger- I never got any pictures, just a PM. Can you resend them?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Spencer:

Check your email. You have photos.

BTW, I think Tom's prices are $250.00

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger-

Got the pictures and I like this design much better. I am going to assume the side knob is actually a button, and it is adjusted much the same way as a military ladder by pinching it and sliding it up and down.

A couple of questions:
How is it attached to the striker, and what is the large screw in the front? Something to hold the aperture in?

Thanks.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Correct on all counts.

The large screw holds the aperture in and also keeps it from turning. The hole in the aperture is drilled off center so you have some windage adjustment.

The elevation has to be determined and a small notch filed into the slide. Then the spring loaded button holds it in place.

The base is silver soldered to the cocking piece.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Can you send me that picture and contact information also? Thanks.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCR

I have one of Tom's Peep Sights on my 404 and it is first class and rugged. I got an extra cocking piece and had Tom solder it on for me. Its sturdy and holds zero perfectly. The windage adjustment is more than adequate.

The only problem was the two stage trigger which moved the cocking piece a bit when it was pulled. Originally I sighted it in with the trigger pulled to the first stop. Later I replaced the trigger with a Timney that has 3 pounds of pull and works wonderfully.

You will want to drill a larger hole in the aperature for actual hunting and a spare with the tiny hole is great for targets.

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Five thumbs up on the Mickey Seal of Approval Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Lawndart:

Send me your email addy. I tried sending photos to SCR through a PM and it didn't work.

My email is in my signature line.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
posted Hide Post
Explain the windage thing to me one more time, there must be something I don't get.

As this is going to go on a Swede 96, I am thinking about making the actual striker into a peep sight.

As the striker has the thumb stub on it and is square on the sides, I am thinking about drilling a hole to the major diameter of a #10 or 12 screw and then milling a groove down the side of said screw. I will then put a pin through the rear of the cocking piece so it goes in about halfway and keeps the peep from rotating.

I am then going to mill a groove horizontally through the striker about halfway down and then put a knurled ring that is threaded to the peep screw.

The elevation will work the same way you adjust a Lyman Tang or #2a sight.

It will be sort of an experiment, hopefully it works out.

-Spencer