delete
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
delete

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am not the expert but I understand that Pre-64 will work if you drilll and tap a new hole in the action for the front screw. The inletting will be different. I do know about the 1903 Springfield.

I bought Pre-64 bottom metal for my Model 54 but have not done anything with it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If you just want to get rid of the stamped trigger guard it's very easy to cut it off just behind the center screw hole. Then take a Mdl70 trigger guard (from Williams of course) and cut a step in the front to accept the floorplate and install. Makes for an easy change and greatly improves the look. An easy hacksaw/file job and you only have to cold blue the cuts and they really don't show.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Will pre-64 Winchester M70 or 1903 Springfield bottom metal fit a Winchester M54?

What Charles said. I've tried this on mine when I had a Mod 70 to match bits up with. The trigger guard screws are all the same thread & spacing, but the Mod 70 front screw goes into the flat behind the recoil lug rather than into the recoil lug like on the 54. A easy job for a gunsmith or competent hobbiest with the right tap to fix, I imagine that Brownells and/or Midway carry these taps. Can't say re the Springfield, but Frank de Haas book gives the Springfield guard screw spacing as 7.75" & the Win 54 as 8.25", the Win 70 as 7.5". Looking at diagrams of each I suspect the S/field mag would be too short behind the mag box, & would need cutting & lengthening at least, possibly other work too. Go with the Win 70 bottom metal.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote