New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaming 8x57 chamber to 8x60
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an old Mauser guild rifle sporter barrel, slim taper with about a 10" straight section towards the muzzle. Highly suspicious for a Kar98a barrel...

Anyway, it is a .323 bore, chambered in 8x57. Rifling and crown are great, throat a little toasty. Screws right on to several actions I have at hand, including a BRNO contract 98, and a K-98. I am thinking of renting an 8x60 reamer and reaming it out by hand. I don't have an 8x60, I'd like to play with it, and this is a good barrel to play with as it's no great prize - but if it works out, it will be decent. Plus, it's very slim so some day in the future, I can retube it with a Lothar barrel in 8x60 and just re-inlet the barrel channel.

Any thoughts on the caliber and what I propose to do?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Good luck finding an 8x60 reamer on this side of the puddle! Please let me know if you do. Clymer will make one as a special order, as they do have the specs.

I have decided to limit my rifles to 7x64, 8x60 and 9.3x62.
(and the 9.3x64 and .404 Jeff, and maybe the...)

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a US gunsmithing enterprise doing just that: renting chamber reamers.

Do a google search for "reamer rental" or "reamerrental".

Apart from that, a decent endeavour. Easy job, some veocity and energy gains, 8x60 cases can be easily reformed from various cheap existing ones, and factory ammo is also available.

Carcano, himself shooting a 8x60 "Magnum"

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick search does seem to indicate that finding a rental would be a problem. I guess I will have to hunt around a bit...

In all honesty, I don't expect much of a gain from going to the 8x60 over the 8x57, I just find the history of it interesting. We'll see.

Kurt, I used to be a 'caliber addict' but I have gotten rid of everything that is not Mauser associated, now having only 7x57, 7.65x53, 8x57, and 9.3x62 rifles. I want to add a 9.3x57 Husky on a 98 action to that bunch; I am planning to try using my 416 Taylor for a trade. Now, to locate the 9.3x57.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the 8 x 60, if the throat is "toasty", you would be better off rechambering it to a 8mm06, as you would push the chamber much further ahead,and it would clean up the throat so you can have a new one.

Even better, just order a new Walther in what you want.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
Try Sarco in NJ for the 9.3x57 Husky. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

As much as I like the 8 x 60, if the throat is "toasty", you would be better off rechambering it to a

8x64 S

Quote:

as you would push the chamber much further ahead,and it would clean up the throat so you can have a new one.

Terry is right indeed - that is: now, after my small correction.

Carcano

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Why would you do that, there's nothing to gain over the 8x57 ? The 8x60 started life to bypass the banning of military calibers for civilians in some European countries. Today, 8x60 ammo can be hard to find, even in Europe.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Todd Getzen

I think Dave Kiff of Pacific Precision Grinding can help you with reamer for almost any cartridge..

I would go for a 8X64S. It is not hard to make brass for it. You can use 7X64, 270 cases. Brenneke and S&B makes ammo for the 8X64S. How about a 8X68S?

I got a 8X64S, it's a ZG-47. I also got a ZG-47 in 8X57 IS. Disgusting, but true I got a small inventory of ammo when I bought the 8X64S

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go with the 8mm-06. The ones recommended will almost be handloaded... Finding factory for any of them will be $$$$ !!!! this side of the pond and even much of europe.

You will always be able to find 06 brass, and cheap. Also reloading information is pentiful and dies are not expensive. Most companies list them as a standard offering though at a slight higher tier of pricing (apx +10-15%).

Posts: 25 | Location: Reeders, PA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Just go with the 8mm-06. The ones recommended will almost be handloaded... Finding factory for any of them will be $$$$ !!!! this side of the pond and even much of europe.

One moment...

270, 7X64 or 280 rem can be used to make 8X64S brass. I guess they are not that scarce? A factory round will be more attractive since wildcats will give a lower secondhand price. I have been offerd very nice rifles for peanuts just because they been "wildcats". If you have no ammo it can be easier to find a box of factory stuff than makeing your own, unless you carry a reloading kit with you?

S&B ammo is not expensive in USA or Europe compared to other brands. I guess it's morre a question of haveing the importer to order them. I know Brenneke ammo is imported to USA.

<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I am thinking of renting an 8x60 reamer and reaming it out by hand. I don't have an 8x60, I'd like to play with it, and this is a good barrel to play with as it's no great prize - but if it works out, it will be decent. Any thoughts on the caliber and what I propose to do? Todd

I have an 8X60RS double that was converted from 8X57RS sometime in the early 1940's in Germany. One chamber is slightly deeper that the other, meaning that the cartridges when reloaded will only fit one of the barrels correctly. While it was at Paul Jaeger's for rings to be made for the claw mount, I asked Dietrick Apel, now at New England Custom Guns, to deepen the other chamber so they'd be the same. He couldn't find an 8X60 reamer anywhere in the U.S.

I'm not certain they even make this chambering in Germany any more. I believe the 8X60S is considered obsolete everywhere.

IFYOU FIND SOMEONE WITH A REAMER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

270, 7X64 or 280 rem can be used to make 8X64S brass. I guess they are not that scarce?

Yes, Johan, but it's useless to try to eduacate a sea urchin.

Sigh... just again the usual American ignorance, at its worst. Truly zombi-esque. Blast them 10 times and they'll stand up again. I suppose the hell is full, so that these threads revert ?

Carcano

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

IFYOU FIND SOMEONE WITH A REAMER, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

So rent a Triebel reamer.

Carcano

<JOHAN>
posted
eldeguello

If I were in your boots, I would recamber the double to 8X75RS. A competent gunsmith would be able to tell you if it's possible or not. It's a very potent caliber for boars. Dies and reamer is avilable from PPG or a European company.

Carcano 91- I know, I know. Still they can zombies or hard headed makes no difference. Everyone is entiteled to an opinion, I will never give up or surrender Why get anything than European calibers

PICK, your name is very funny

Cheers

/ JOHAN