New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not sure which forum this goes on, so I'll ask here.

What is the difference between Kimber of Oregon and Kimber of America? Are they related? Did they used to be? And the most important question: who makes the better rifle?

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Kynadog,

There have been past threads on Kimber firearms and history of the companies. If you search the site with the Search function, you should turn them up. Do a site-wide search, not just this forum.

jim dodd
(KOE & KOA owner)

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Kynadog

Ill give this a try. Don�t take my word as the gospel though. [Wink]
Kimber of Oregon was first famous for there rimfires. They thin started with their centerfire rifles with a 22 hornet...model 82. Next was the model 84, a mini Mauser for the 222 family of cartridges. Thin the model 89 BGR, a long action sutibale for 375 h&h length cartridges. Thin bankruptcie and a subsequent resurrection with the 1911 pistols. Thin sold and moved to Yonkers New York.
Now we have the model 84m (m for medium) action, made for 308 length cartridges. With more lengths to come?
As far as who makes the better rifle? I guess the quality of fit, finish and wood has been about the same throughout the whole lineage. The ones I have heard the worst things about and actually seen problems with are the 89 BGRs. The new 84m�s look like great rifles for their level of quality verses price.
Also during the resurrection time they were rebarreling m96 Mausers. Which are just that , rebarreled actions with a bent bolt and a cheep ramline stock.
Hope this helps. Which one are you looking at?

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote