New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clean up original engraving/stamping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone tell me if it is possible to clean up the original stamping marks on a Argentine mauser? I know of one for sale very cheap, but someone sanding the action and it made the original DWM stampings faint in places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there's enough left for a sciber to follow, you can apply a ground, scribe thru the ground, then acid etch. Most engravers can "recut", but this doesn' look like the original stamping method,,,like to hear from others

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I have a vast amount of experience in this area...hehe.

Lettering can be recut that is imperceptible to the factory stamping with the naked eye. This only holds true if the factory polishes after the stamping...flushing off the raised burr caused by the stamping. Clear as mud?

It's also a costly process, $3.50-5.00 per character usually. The caveat is, that most engravers skilled enough to execute the level accuracy needed to do this kind of work, don't have the time or inclination to take it on.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Roger,

If you were ever inclined to post some pics of the procedure I am sure there are a lot of people interested in how the process is performed from start to finish.

Myself included <G>.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Photos wouldn't help much. The procedure is simply engraving the lettering deeper. It does require a different sharpening process on the graver. The radius on the curve of a CAP R or P that is only .060 tall is only about 8-10 thou. The top curve on an S is smaller yet.

The heel on an normal graver will drag on a curve that tight an will tear up the engraving.

Does that help?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger: I've seen your lettering...absolutely flawless..Then again that's why you make the big bucks!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote