New
Find
Notify
Tools

Timney Trigger Adjustment Question??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few years ago I had a Timney installed on my M70. I would like to adjust the weight a bit.

Is this an easy trigger to adjust (screw?) since I would rather do it myself than box the gun up and send it out.

I have a good trigger pull gage, so I just need advice on how the trigger is adjusted.

Help anyone...thanks!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to their instructions. Key issue is as you reduce the trigger pull you need to check to make sure that it won't allow the rifle to slam fire.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/...uctions/Win%2070.pdf

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks alot! Is that all there is to it, just backing off on that one bolt? Sounds too good to be true, and I think that even I can do it.
So it looks like creep adj is pre-set at the factory, so I just have to back off on screw #3.
Does that sound right to you?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
On these type triggers there are normally 3 screws. Pull weight, sear engagment and overtravel.

If you are currently happy with both creep (sear engagment) and overtravel leave those alone. It is just the one screw that adjusts the pull weight. To reduce pull you slowly back that screw out. Checking the pull weight as you go. Once you are happy with the pull then you need to make sure that the rifle will not slam fire. Or fire with a hard hit to the butt plate. If it will then you need to increase the pull until it won't slam fire.

If you feel you must adjust the engagment then you get into a blancing act between pull weight and engagement and how the triiger feels and if it is safe. So as long as you can live with the amount of creep DON'T adjust it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote