Find
Notify
Tools

Help Identifying 9.3x62
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 323
posted
I picked up a 9.3x62 in a mauser now the rifle is at my dads right now so I'm going by what he his telling me. He said stamped on the barrel is K.BurgsMuller, CHARLOTTENBURG. I was told it is a mauser model B. I would just like to know a little more about it. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope and someone put a muzzlebreak on it and it has a spoon handle on it. On the Barrel the numbers are 3033 and the reciever has the same numbers 3033. Underneath the barrel it is stamped with a crown followed by ST. M. G. below this it is marke N18GRS.
Then it is marked 9mmx62 below this it is stamped with a crown below the crown is the letter B, underneath this is another crown below the crown is the letter U. It is also stamped M23 and the letter BMG are on the underside of reciever as well. All of this is either marked under the barrel or on top of the barrel or on the bottom of the reciever. Thanks for any help, I forgot to add that it has double set triggers and and some one took the sights off. I guess in the end what is this thing worth with all the things done to it, or I should say all of the mistakes done to it.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel has a gunsmith's name on it, it is not a Model B. It is that smith's copy of a model B.

The original sights were regulated for a 278 grain jacketed bullet, and was proofed for smokeless powder.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
John,
If you need someone to take care of it for you while you are at school I will make sure it is well cared for. You may not get it back on your return though!!!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
KurtC where did you find the information on the bullet weight? I tried internet searches to no avail.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stahl Mantel Geschoss means steel jacketed bullet. Nitro (smokeless) powder. 18 Gram bullet, which is about 278 grains.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Where could I find what the other marks stand for? Also would you or anyone else know how to find out more about the gunsmith who built this rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The maker doesn't ring any bells with me, could be any one of a thousand local smiths working between the wars. Perhaps one our members in Europe will chime in with some info.

The B and U are standard German proofs. The markings under the receiver would make sense to a military K98 collector. The 23 might be the year it was made or converted. Smiths would often keep the original serial number, and mark the new barrel to match. Some just used their own proprietary series of numbers.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. As soon as I get it here I post pictures.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Let me take a wild guess here and posit that the maker's name might be K. Bergsmüller instead of Vurgs Muller. Bergsmüller was a fairly well-known Berlin gunsmith (Charlottenburg is a bit west of Berlin) who produced, or at least finished, rifles, pistols and shotguns. The style of the St.m.G.-over-18grs mark tells us that this rifle was prooved after 1912 and before 1939.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpesteve:
Let me take a wild guess here and posit that the maker's name might be K. Bergsmüller instead of Vurgs Muller. Bergsmüller was a fairly well-known Berlin gunsmith (Charlottenburg is a bit west of Berlin) who produced, or at least finished, rifles, pistols and shotguns. The style of the St.m.G.-over-18grs mark tells us that this rifle was prooved after 1912 and before 1939.

You are right with your guess I called my dad this morning to re-verify the name and he said it is Burgsmuller not Vurgsmuller. Sorry for any confusion.