New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 action length ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was the early tang safety Ruger 77 available in a true short action, or were they offered like the pre-64 70 as either a standard or magnum length action? I'm conjuring up a potential project and the answer to this question might affect the planning.

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see stocks all the time that are advertised to be SA old model, so I assume they made a true short action. I have a LA 30/06. So they made those two for sure.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I know of only three sizes, The 77/22 , the 77 long action and the 77 magnum action. I dont believe they made a true short action for the 243,308, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a .243 and a .308 MKII and I can tell you that they definitely make a short action now.
I only have a 30/06 in the old tang safety model, but I just bought a stock off of Ebay for it, and when it came it was a short action old model stock. It was listed as a long action, but it was short.

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
You are right, they did make a short action with the tang safety. I dont recall ever seeing one, but then I dont look for them either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually , Ruger brought out the 77 in short actions only to start with . The 06 length actions followed a couple of years later .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
I built my 260 on a 2.8 inch ruger mdl 77 with the tang saftey. It started out as a sporter wieght 22-250.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a tang safety M77 in .308. The magazine length is right at 2.9", a smidgen longer than many short actions.

I like a tang safety; I never did see why everyone is so enthused about the wing-style.

BigIron

one of us
posted Hide Post
The tang safety only blocks the trigger and locks the bolt shut.
The new safety, when pulled all the way back, locks the bolt and blocks the firing pin for a much safer rifle.
That being said, I, like you, still like the tang safety better.

[ 10-15-2003, 00:34: Message edited by: Bobby ]