Tools

Quick release bases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Ok, ok, steady
So, Who's should I use?
Got a custom mauser in 375 H&H with Leupold FN bases. Want to switch to QD bases and have never used them before. Is there a preference, better, worse, any real difference at all? PS, am going to QD's so I can mount iron sights.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have used QR's quite alot. They have been the leupold's in QR's and the QRW's. The QR's were used on a two barrel H-S Precision in 30-378 and 257 with two leupold scopes. They worked perfect
I am using the QRW's on several varmit rigs with 3 leupolds and have been very happy. Both set ups are using 30mm rings. I do prefer the looks of the QR's much better.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quality-wise:

Suhl claw mounts - about $600

EAW quick lock - about $300

Leupold QR - about $100

Clamp type - Talley, Warne, Leupold QRW, and others - about $100

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, just curious here, is that two barrel rifle in 30-378 and 257-378? If not, do you have two bolts as well?

I have used the Warne QD rings on thier bases and have been completely happy with them. They are the only rings and bases I use for the really heavy recoiling stuff.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Leupold QRs the ones with the post into the base with the lever on the left side.?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey, thats them. Good bases and rings but the levers are to short to turn with your fingers. They do hold well under hard recoil though.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Leupold QR's (ones with posts in bases) and found the levers to loosen. I paid careful attention to the levers (positioned so recoil would torque them tighter, etc.), but they still moved. This was on a 9# .30Gibbs (about same recoil as 300SAUM) so I would not call the recoil excessive. If you don't mind the potential for some movement of your POI (lets say 1/4" @ 100yrds) then I would say your okay.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. As always, it's appreciated.
Mike

Posts: 144 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I've used the Talley's on my .375 Ackley Improved, and they've functioned flawlessly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used warn QD rings on steel weaver style bases (can't remember if they were warne or weaver made) with out fail on a 375 imp for over 2 years with no shift of zero. We also use aluminum warne qd rings for a scout scope system on HEAVY recoiling lever guns with good results for a few years now. Have Fun
Steve

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Leupold QR bases on a .375, had no problems, will repeat at least within 1/2-1 in. I used them so I could take a spare scope with me on a long trip. Of course if you do this you'll never have a scope fail, so you never need the spare.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote