Find
Notify
Tools

Stocking a Savage 99, questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I'm going to spruce up my father in laws Model 99 a bit. It's in pretty tough shape. My first question is does anyone know of a GOOD duplicator that has an original pattern? I also would like some suggestions on what to do with the holes in the receiver. I'm going to keep the peep site. I'm also debating on wood. I have this claro blank but think it might look better with a more subtle black walnut piece or something with some nice crotch figure. I have a couple nice english blanks but think it might look out of place on this gun. Here are some pics. Thanks, Rob.

Another question, the butt plate is just a flat piece of steel. Is this stock? I think the gun is a 1930's era. In any case it's butt ugly. I'm thinking a crescent plat if I can fins one.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a set at gunstocksinc, it was a bit of work, but the price was right. I have just finished the rough sanding and will have it finished in a couple of weeks or so.

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
You should be able to do a little work to the stock and get it shaped up good enough for a pattern.

I think it should have a slight crescent steel but plate. Mine did.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is some info here: http://www.savage99.com/

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link delloro.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Dennis Olson turn me a 99 stock. I'm still working on it. I think he has a few different 99 patterns. I'd give him a call.

thanks, billy

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey, how big is that blank? Do you think you'll get a forend out of it too?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Rob, it's a larged size blank even for a full stock. It will be ok. The other pic showing the full stock had a lot of glare.

Billy I may contact Dennis. I'll call Mike Kokolus first just because he's pretty fast. My father in laws father is still alive and in his late ninetys. I'd like to have it finished while he's still around. The guy is real healthy for his age but you just never know.