New
Find
Notify
Tools

New actions for five next years?
 Login/Join

<rigfer>
posted
Will new actions arrive for the five next years? Is it room for improving today`s actions?

[ 08-06-2002, 22:36: Message edited by: rigfer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
More bolt and trigger locks. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the next 5 years, but think this Etronix or electric ignition thing will catch on at some point. Was Valmet that tried it in the early 90's? I think they had some proprietary ammo that had to be used. I figure at some point it'll really catch on with target guys and p dog shooters and will slowly work it's way into the big game industry.

I'm not for it. Shoot my rifles are still blued steel and walnut.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Designs? No...... We have plenty of great designs out there already.

KEY CONCEPTS: Higher production quality with tighter, more exacting tolerances!

That's what I'd like, as a consumer!

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
Hopefully the bean counters won't be in on the decisions or we will end up with more corners cut.

I have no idea what is in our future. My hope is as yours for quality, the designs haven't changed.

They will likely throw some more short fat magnums at us until we tire of them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen and Chic,

The problem we continually face is the percentage of shooters that are at all discerning seems to shrink each year. So if you are Winchester etc, you will cut costs.

I often wonder if a Model 70 was sold at a higher price option even for a standard of finish in the area of Wby Mark V and Sako, would many people buy one.

I don't think they would. The reason is that they see Model 70 as just a base gun and a Wby and Sako must be a better design etc.

The Model 70 must hold the title for the combination of the best design with the worst execution of the design of any product.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mike375,

You could consider the Winchester Custom Shop as the builder of the "more better" Winchester rifle. I haven't bought any, but those I have examined at shows were very nice. Of course they are priced at the beginning of Dakota Country, and I don't know if they are that good or not.

I liked my Kimber .375 H&H because it was a very nice implementation of the Winchester M70 at a price that wan't too high for a hunting tool.

My wife got her left hand M70 Classic .30-'06 in the first group they shipped, and it is a good rifle. Of course we had to have it restocked to fit her, and that cured all the common problems of current production.

I have two of the M99 Montana Rifleman actions on order. They should be a major shake up of the market when all their different models are available.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote