Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 1903 MS Bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I have a MS 1903 in 6.5x54 that is in pretty good shape except I noticed today for the first time:

Extractor Collar (I guess that what it's called) is missing a piece:

Bolt Face is also missing a small piece:

And screw head turn off on the extractor collar:

Where could I find some good quality replacement parts or bolt? I might just want to send it to a gunsmith that has experience in MS 1903 restoration.

Thoughts?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is your ejector; your extractor looks fine. If you can' t find a new one, just weld up the face and mill/file it back to shape. A new one will be hard to get. the bolt face will probably work as is. Check Numrich; might get lucky.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
That is your ejector; your extractor looks fine. If you can' t find a new one, just weld up the face and mill/file it back to shape. A new one will be hard to get. the bolt face will probably work as is. Check Numrich; might get lucky.

Thanks. There's a guy, can't remember his name, but he's located somewhere in Europe that has bunches of old Mannlicher parts. He's not the guy that was building new ones.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to reach out to gunmaker Steve Nelson in Oregon- he's the man when it cows to M-S rifles/carbines.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greek Military 1903 rifle/bolt parts will fit nicely.

I've bought from:

Empire Gun Shop
120 Liberty Valley Rd
Danville, PA 17821
Pete Donato: 570-275-5482
(He does a lot of shows so is on the road many times on Fri/Weekends)

Also:

Springfield Sporters
Penn Run,PA
http://www.ssporters.com/Articles.asp?ID=254

They list Greek M/S parts but do not show individual parts on the website. I usually just give them a call. Email response was slow in the past but I haven't done business with them in a while. I've bought a lot of SMLE, M/S, and Webley parts from them over the years.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Empire Gun Shop
120 Liberty Valley Rd
Danville, PA 17821

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I got a bolt today from one of the sources listed on here and the ejector looked about the same.

Is this type of damage common?

Eric

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 MS rifles - two were pre 1924 & one was a 1930s Greek military conversion.

From what I have read over the years, the rifles were made for low pressure - around 40k PSI max. Later models from the 1950 were made in modern full pressure calibers. But the older ones were for low pressure rounds.

I have read of actions being damaged by shooting high pressure loads. So I wonder if that is one of the symptoms in your rifle. Is there any setting back of the bolt lug / recess in the action?

I am no expert. Just asking an honest question. My 2 sporters - 1903 6.5 MS & 1910 9.5 MS are both very tight actions showing little use.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote