Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Boyds VIP stocks
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Thanks Ned very nice of you.

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've got one waiting to put my 550 express in...

the mag is deep... i kinda like that, as it allows for me to have MORE ROOM, wiht a minmum of metal working (it's all hidden, right?)

65 bucks and shipping? how can you pass on that, in lam.

weight? about the same as a win model 70 in wood.

pillar bed? fine idea.. you'll have to do that yourself... easy as fishing

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Some questions for you guys....
Am I right in thinking that these are fully inleted but unfinished on the out side? Are they pillar bedded and how much work do they need to finish.

Thanks

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
Bakes, i just finished boyds laminate varminter on my target gun(tang saftety ruger 77).

*fully inletted = no needs some dremel work

*unfinished on outside= depends on the model but most are unfinished

*pillar bed= no

*finish work= depends on how for you want to go and how nice a finish you want. i started with 80grit to get some machine marks out and went all the way to 600grit and then 0000 steel wool before i started with the oil finish once i started the oil finish it took me 3 days of rubbing drying steelwool to get a good satin luster. finihsed with tru-wax. i could have went further but as this project took about six month because of work and other priorties i was anxious to get it to the range.

arky65

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
G'day Bakes,
I have bought 2 Boyds stocks into Aus. A JRS Classic in pepper laminate for my M98 .416taylor project and a Warner Varminter in nutmeg laminate for my CMC Trophy Mountaineer (Howa clone) in 22-250. I have only finished one, the Warner Varminter.

I picked this stock up from the bargain bin, all up including shipping cost me AU$80.

There were several deep machine marks, which took some sanding, remember this stock was a second. I finished it off with about 10 coats of poly-urathane, sanding between coats. I like the blondenes of laminate.

I was going to take the rifle and stock to the gunsmith to get him to fit the action to the stock, but thought I'd just stick it in for shits and gigles. It fit very nicely on top, the bottom metal has some gaps around the edges that'll will be fixed when I eventually get it bedded.

Shoots 1/2moa without bedding.

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys fellas. Much appreciated.

$80 shit hey!!! not bad!
I'm thinking of a JRS for my M96. The stock on it now is just some sort of hard wood and I'd like to try a laminate.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a Boyds VIP on a Mauser last year. The inletting was good with very little work required to make the barreled action fit.

The outside of the stock wasn't so easy. It was obese. After inletting the trigger guard to within 1/16" of the bottom of the receiver the bottom of the trigger guard was inlet into the stock about 3/8". I took a 1/4"-3/8" slab of wood off the forend from the rear guard screw to the tip. I also narrowed the forend a considerable amount - at the tip about 1/4" and tapered it back to the receiver ring.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the bottom of the pistol grip and thinned the grip somewhat.

To cut down weight I drilled out the butt as much as I dared but left the cheek-piece.

When all was said and done I sold it because I didn't like the looks of the butt portion of the stock. There was no drop at heel and zero pitch(the butt was at right angles to the bore). These are personal tastes and have nothing to do with the quality of the stock. It seemed to handle the recoil from the .35 Whelen very well and the price was right.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
its too much fun not to try. start with stocks from their seconds page. i have done four of them from the seconds page and had great results for my skill level and the money spent. don't hesitate to contact me if you want some suggestions ( or course this goes for all of you.) pics of project stocks available if anyone wants and idea of how they come out.

ned

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote