New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Taylor Parts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, this weekend I whipped up a quick site so that you guys could see the pictures of the action and stock I have for my 416 Taylor project.

http://home.earthlink.net/~theonlybigred

Click on the .416 Taylor link.

I was hoping that I could get some feedback on a couple of things

1. does the stock look like it has the right shape for an open sighted bigbore? It has quite a lot of meat left on it and the grain through the grip is perfect for a heavy recoiling gun

2. is it necessary to surface grind the action? I was hoping to keep the crest intact since it hasn't been damaged or thinned down at all.

thanks guys, sorry the site is so basic.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
DR---

That's a REALLY nice 1909 Argy. I wouldn't surface grind it (if you want to save the crest), because all the front rings are too out of whack to save it........I would stone it to straighten the lines though.

The trigger guard has suffered from a Budda with a Dremel tool, but looks to be salvageable with somebody that knows how to use a half round file.

There is NO work that a Dremel tool does well on any firearm, but they *can* be usefull sometimes......Just be sure to use it as a LAST resort......the VERY LAST resort.

There seems to be plenty of wood to work with, too.

Good project!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,
You don't want to know how much handwork I have into a mauser action that still doesn't look that good!! Thats a gem. I'm making a rifle for my dad and I'm going to call it the Silk Purse because I built it from a sows ear. Next time I'm hunting down a nice 1909 and making a 7x57 maybe with a full stock.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote