Find
Notify
Tools

Win M95 and Springfield 1903 barrel threads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Does anyone have handy the barrel thread specs for these two?

TIA

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
AC the 1903 is 10 TPI x 1.040 O.D.(square thread). Don't know what the 1895 is.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. It is the Model 95 thread specs I really need to find. Guess I'll have to get up off my butt and look through my books. I just thought someone like smokinJ might know them off the top of his head

The reason I asked is that I have an old '03 that someone fitted an original M95 .405 Winchester barrel to, MANY years ago. The barrel IS timed so that the sights come up dead at 12 o'clock, so they apparently did careful work, fairly skillfully.

I am planning to sell that contraption in the near future and am actually wondering whether the barrel threads are the same or different in the two actions.

I suspect they are different, but how different might be important too...I am considering just parting-out the rifle and selling it that way.

Am not sure I want to sell it as a complete gun, as whoever built it also put about a 1 oz or lighter trigger in it. Why, I can't imagine, but it is what it is. Anyway, I don't think I want to sell a 1 oz.-triggered gun to anyone I don't know WELL. Too many liability implications...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe...The Winchester Model 1895 has a barrel shank(from a barrel Dia of 1.080"Wink of .875" long by .930" in diameter with 16 tpi "v" threads

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thinking about it I seriously doubt that the 1895 has a cone breach like the 1903.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Thinking about it I seriously doubt that the 1895 has a cone breach like the 1903.

You may be right Doug, I'd have to look closely to tell. Maybe that's one of the reasons it was built as a single shot, with the magazine well area of the stock filled in with epoxy. If the person who built it had already decided not to try to make it feed, they may or may not have decided to cone the breech end of the Barrel (chamber).

I DO wish epoxy bedding had not been invented before whoever built it did the deed! They not only filled the magazine well in the stock with epoxy and used a Rem ADL type trigger guard, they built the whole shebang as a "Glue-In"!!!

I'm very happy I got the gun for a song when I bought it on a lark about 30-odd years ago. It shoots well, but it sure ain't a piece of the gunmaker'a technical leading edge, even for that day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

You may be right Doug, I'd have to look closely to tell. Maybe that's one of the reasons it was built as a single shot, with the magazine well area of the stock filled in with epoxy. If the person who built it had already decided not to try to make it feed, they may or may not have decided to cone the breech end of the Barrel (chamber).

I DO wish epoxy bedding had not been invented before whoever built it did the deed! They not only filled the magazine well in the stock with epoxy and used a Rem ADL type trigger guard, they built the whole shebang as a "Glue-In"!!!

I'm very happy I got the gun for a song when I bought it on a lark about 30-odd years ago. It shoots well, but it sure ain't a piece of the gunmaker'a technical leading edge, even for that day.

AC...in researching for you I did run across where someone wanted to put a 303 British barrel on the 95 Win, but can't remember if it was a P14 or not, I'm wanting to say it was the P14. Anyways then said the thread would clean up enough to thread for the 95 Win.

Yeah sounds like you have a home gunsmith jury rig for sure. I imagine there is some solvent that will eat out epoxy. Heat will soften it, maybe taking it all apart (as much as you can being some of it is epoxied together) and soaking in a hot solvent solution may dissolve the epoxy. Do this outside please.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to part it out, I'd be very interested in the barrel. What sort of sights?

BTW that dimension of ~0.930" dia 16V tpi sounds like a typical Win thread form. I'll bet it was set back & rethreaded for the 03 or maybe has a thread sleeve.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Alright AC we NEED photos! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes please. Do you think there is any chance of salvaging the receiver?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled many 95s, mostly from .30-40 to .405. It is child's play to install an 03 barrel on a 95; there is plenty of meat to re-thread and shape the barrel shank to fit a 95. Yes, the 95s use a cone, albeit mostly cut away for the bolt face and the extractor groove is on the top.
Yikes! this will make me read the question before posting the answer (bad habit of mine). In order to fit a 95 barrel to an 03, it would have to be sleeved. Or epoxied. Don't shoot it. Heat up epoxy a bit and it will turn to powder. Below the heat required to melt solder to it won't hurt the metal. It will hurt springs.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have rebarreled many 95s, mostly from .30-40 to .405. It is child's play to install an 03 barrel on a 95; there is plenty of meat to re-thread and shape the barrel shank to fit a 95. Yes, the 95s use a cone, albeit mostly cut away for the bolt face and the extractor groove is on the top.
Yikes! this will make me read the question before posting the answer (bad habit of mine). In order to fit a 95 barrel to an 03, it would have to be sleeved. Or epoxied. Don't shoot it. Heat up epoxy a bit and it will turn to powder. Below the heat required to melt solder to it won't hurt the metal. It will hurt springs.

You may very likely be right, but you are too late.

I have been shooting the rifle for about 30 years with full loads behind 300 grain bullets (both factory loads and handloads). Have also fired some handloads with 400 grain Barnes bullets.

Bolt lift has not increased, so lugs aren't noiticeably setting back. Fired cases fall out of the chamber, so the chamber isn't swelling much if any. Headspace is not increasing.

Perhaps mine has been sleeved, but if so, it was done so well it sure doesn't show. Maybe the guy who built it (whoever he was) had some real skills?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I would love to give you photos, but have no way to take them and move them to my computer. I could have done so with my old computer, but with my current one there is no floppy disk port where I can put the small floppy computer discs my first generation Sony digital camera also uses....plus now after the move I can't find the charger for the Sony's battery.

As to the condition of the barrel and the action, yes I think they are both very, very useable. The Winchester barrrel still has a completely unfrosted or unpitted bore, and the Springfield action is nice and smooth. I'll have to get the scope off of it before I can tell whether it is high number or low number, but i think I recall it was one of the double heat-treated high number ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
If you decide to part it out, I'd be very interested in the barrel. What sort of sights?

Joe, I consider you a real friend, so if I get that thing apart in the next few months, I'll remember to PM you and we can chat about the barrel. I won't sell or give it to anyone else before talking more with you.

I recently had overhead metal storage shelves built into two bays of the garage, and made the mistake of letting my wife oversee the moving of stuff from the Tuff-Shed into the garage shelving. Neither she nor the guy I hired to help her knows Zippo about firearms stuff, so I can't really find anything.

That is made more difficult by the fact that since my stroke i can't balance well enough to climb a ladder, let alone carry any heavy boxes up or down one.

I wish I had a friend here who could help with this stuff, but having just moved back after 23 years absence, all my old close friends are dead.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying that first I have to find my bench vice and re-mount it on one of my benches, then find my barrel vice and action wrenches and mount the action vice in the bench vice.

A last comment...don't get old. It really is little if any better than the alternative.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D Humbarger:

AC...in researching for you I did run across where someone wanted to put a 303 British barrel on the 95 Win, but can't remember if it was a P14 or not, I'm wanting to say it was the P14. Anyways then said the thread would clean up enough to thread for the 95 Win. QUOTE]

------------

I used to own a Win M95 carbine which had originally been chambered for the 7.62x54 Russian round.

The barrel had suffered tgerrible indignities bfore the gun was rescued from the Russkies, so when I got it, the barrel had to be replaced. The bore had pits so large I think one might have been able to lose a water buffalo in there. Wink

The late Doug Paul of Edmonton, Alberta did a prisitine bit of work putting a .303 British barrel on it for me.

I assume it is still up there shooting moose somewhere...I sold it at the Saskatoon gun show in 1974 or '75.