Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 husqvarna open sight problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I finally got some ammo to try out my 9.3x62 project rifle at the range.

It shoots clover leafs at 25 yards.

Unfortunately these clover leafs were dead on but 8 inches high.

Soooo I am WAY high at 100 yds.

The sights are not ajustable.

What would you do next, regarding the open sights. (I am going to mount a new scope but want open sights also) I am lost as far as the next step - replace the sights??

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Is the blade in front removable? If so replace it with a taller one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
And if it is not removeable make it taller, either by soldering a piece of brass stock or use some epoxy putty (which will always look like epoxy putty). What is the distance between the sights? If you have theat then you know how much the front has to come up.

Or else try reducing your powder by 15-25 grains Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
What weight bullet? The sights were originally set for 286 gr bullets. The 250s and 232s won't shoot to point without a taller front sight.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I am shooting 286gr factory loads.

This is an old Husqvarna - I have no idea where I'd get a taller blade to fit, even if I could get it out of the dovetail mount.

Any suggestions?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Mark
What do you mean If i have the distance between the sights, I can figure it out? Is there an equation for this that I am not familiar with and coould help me figure it out?

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
Mark
What do you mean If i have the distance between the sights, I can figure it out? Is there an equation for this that I am not familiar with and coould help me figure it out?

Brownell's Sight Height Calculator

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XS Sight Systems makes a plastic test post you can cut with a pocket knife. I think they're about $5 for 10 posts. Get a bag of them and figure out the right height, then get the proper front sight from Brownells.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

Thanks - with your help, I now have a plan

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Where on the target are you holding? I believe the sights were designed for the classic "6 O'Clock" hold.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
sbhva:

For open sights, I was taught to put the bead in the notch and balance the bull on the bead.

And I shot 8" high at 25 yards doing it.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riodot:
sbhva:

For open sights, I was taught to put the bead in the notch and balance the bull on the bead.

And I shot 8" high at 25 yards doing it.

I am getting the feeling that the sight may have been "replaced". Can you post a pic of the sight on your rifle? Rear and front for that matter?

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need a considerably higher front sight, you may have to do some work on ramp to get it up..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote