New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 12 Win 20 ga conversion to 28 ga
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the shotgun forum but on second thought I believe it's more of a gunsmithing question. I have a model 12 Win that's worn out. My smith says it will cost more to rebuild than it's worth. I think I remember reading about a company that rebuilds and converts mod 12 20s to 28 ga. Anyone know who does this? Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but the conversion will almost certainly cost as much as or more than a new Browning M12 in 28 gauge and you won't have an original gun in either case. I wouldn't do it myself, but it is your gun and your money.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moneymaker, the rib folks, used to do this conversion but if your Model 12 it to beat to rebuild, doesn't look like a candidate for 28 gauge conversion.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrights Model 12 shop would be hard to beat in my experience with these wonderful guns. Stuart Wright is a great guy to deal with. I would'nt call it a conversion as much as I would call it getting a 28 ga bbl (they are the same action) The actions are very rebuildable. Of of my guns I cherish my mod 12's above all in their balance, pointability, and shear function. No offense to the other posters, but I wouldn't give .02 for a Browning stamped metal repro. Winchester put so much handwork and machining into these guns they lost money on them all the way to 64.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. I'm sure you're right. I just hate to have a gun I can't use and anyone would be a fool to buy it. I'll check on the Browning.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ultraman, I didn't see your posting before I posted that last. Where is this Wright's Model 12 Shop? Does he have an email. I'm working a contract in Mexico based on a little island in the Mexican Gulf and if they don't have email I have trouble communicating. Thanks for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultraman,

No offense taken, but I will bet that the, as you put it, stamped metal reproduction Browning m12s will outlast any original M12 you care to put up against one. The metal is better and the Japanese held closer manufacturing tolerances with modern machinery.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote