New
Find
Notify
Tools

first jobs to accurize rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Once the action and desired portion of the barrel have been bedded, barrel floated, trigger worked, what other directions can you go in to get better accuracy?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Express,

Recrown, if for nothing else than peace of mind and then load developement.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other than brass prep, removing the barrel and truing the action, then screwing on a custom match grade barrel and topping it with a top of the line scope.

If you're shooting for groups, this is a must. If you're accurizing for hunting, none of this will matter nearly as much as time spent practicing shooting from positions normally used in the field.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
Once the action and desired portion of the barrel have been bedded, barrel floated, trigger worked, what other directions can you go in to get better accuracy?

Express,

If you're anything like me then seeing as you've allready got the scope (I presume this is your 6ppc with nightforce etc?) then decent benchrest, bags, concrete bench, wind flags and a knowledgable bench rester to take you under his wing to show you technique, unfortunately I find I haven't the time.

I'm considering swapping my HB 222rem sako for a sporter 6ppc stainless synthetic (rare as hen's teeth) but have just found out the action sako now use on the 75 for 6ppc is the III ie 243/308 size. Do you find there is a lot of spare space? Have you tried any 80/85/90gr bullets in it?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote