New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will I damage my Synthetic stock??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage with a thin synthetic stock. I like the looks of the limbsaver recoil pads but it looks like a slip on will work easiest.

Do you think it would be OK to take off the OEM pad and put the slip on pad onto the stock and bottom it against the hollow exposed stock??

This gun weighs about 6.8 #'s (without scope) and kicks pretty hard (300 win mag).

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know thhs doesn't answer your question, but I think limbsaver now makes a grind-to-fit pad - assuming your problem was that they didn't make a pad to fit your particular Savage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They make a grind to fit but the screw holes don't match so I'd have to have some sort of plate made and then attach that to the plate. Thought it would be easier to just take off the old pad and keep it around for maybe putting back on later. I'm not that concerned about the looks of the slip on...just want function.

BTW the back of the stock is straight not curved so it should transmit the recoil evenly to the slip on. Good idea or not??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a pre fit pad that fit my Savage syn stock perfectly. I forget the name of it but it is worth a catolg peak to order it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe--can you give me center to center dimension on the screws on your pad. This is a savage stevens and people are telling me the stock dimensions are the same as any savage syn stock but I don't think it is. Thanks for your trouble.

ALSO--is it a nice soft recoil pad?? I'd love to just screw on a nice looking pad but both pachmayr and limbsaver tell me they DO NOT have a match to this new gun and their templates are proving them right.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Cabela's and others also have a prefit Pachmyar Decellerator that fits right onto Savage synthetics. Fill the fore end of the Savage synthetic with a couple of chevy pushrods and some bedding compound mixed with lead shot to stiffen and add weight to the stock also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like it is 3 1/2 inches center to center

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks snowwolfe..that does match my dimension. By measuring center to center on the outside of pad I was getting 3.620 but the screws were angled and once off the gun and checking the actual holes in the stock it's 3.5". Still no match to limbsaver but....will go back and check Pachmayr some more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just buy the one off Brownells. Don't forget it will add about a 1/2 in to your length of pull. But It does soak up the recoil. I put mine on a 300 Win Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, I had the same rifle. I put a Stockade stock on it with a limbsaver pad and mercury reducer. recoil feels less than my .270. Last weekend I sot a 3 shot group at 100 yds less than .75" Kevin does agreat job on the stocks and you can get almost any LOP. He knows Savage rifles quuite well.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote