THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC, are you going to make the PH action??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And if so, when?

I need to know if I should wait some more, or if I should buy a Granite Mountain Arms action.

Thank you.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 Grains,
We are most definately going to make the PH action, but I don't see it being available until some time next year.

Dan

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
[Frown]
Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
when you say next year, when do you think the orders will be CHARGED, or are they already?

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, is that projection based on getting X amount of folks to sign up for the initial run or is it a company decision. And if it is "X", how many more are needed to get started.

Jeffe, my card has not been charged as yet. The agreement was that it would not be charged until the quota was reached and work began.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I have 2 MRC PH actions on order and I'd like to know what the status is as well.

When you say "sometime next year" do you mean I will have the action in hand next year or the production will begin next year and I might have to wait until 2005 to receive them?

Secondly, on a separte thread you mentioned that you were finishing up the drawings for the PH. Can we see some pics or renderings of what the final action will look like? I have already seen the pics on your website.

Got to tell you the wait is getting harder and harder to do.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Folks,

From the very honest response I got from Dan earlier last month about the PH actions was that the initial response had not been enough to get em made, now. I was hoping to use the PH in my 404 Jeffery project, but opted to go with the Long actions because they were available now and the price was certainly reasonable.

My understanding was that it could be summer or later next year before the actions might be ready to be shipped, if then.

I have nothing but high praise for Dan and the others at MRC. Their product and their honest answers have won them a new customer!

[ 10-29-2003, 04:04: Message edited by: Rusty ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind waiting a little longer for the PH action so they have plenty of time to work out some of the bugs in the design. By the time they make the PH action, they will have a lot more experience due to various issues learned from the current LA and SA.

As for th GMA, I would get one right away to build something if I could afford it, as the PH action can always be put away for something else in the future, not to mention that it will be pretty easy to sell should anybody need to do so. Thanks.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite apart from getting enough customers to sign up for the PH charter program, we also have to be realistic about the time it will eventually take to get all the design and production issues sorted out. There are lessons to be learned from the time it took to get either LA or SA models to market. Rod announced the start of the SA program (i.e. enough customers) at the end of February 2003. Actions started to ship sometime around October 2003 (actually pretty snappy, when you think of it). LH LA program was launched sometime in January 2003, shipment in November of 2003, maybe? These actions benefitted from all the development work that had originally gone into the RH LA - i.e. CAD-files, dimensions, prototypes, experience with manufacturing process etc etc. The PH is largely a new design, so it would be unrealistic to expect a lead time shorter than what we have experienced with either the LA or SA models. We can all (MRC included) be as optimistic as we'd like to be, but reality is that it takes a while to get a product line like this up and running. So,,, patience, patience,,,
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are selling the Professional Hunter action under the "Charter Issue" program, just like the left hand long and short actions. Until we reach 300 sold, we won't actually begin production. Currently we are sitting at about 65-70 of them sold. We have not charged anyone's cards for the $525.00 price tag yet and will not until we are ready to go. We expect to have 2-3 working models for the 2004 Shot Show in Vegas and maybe with those we'll generate more interest. It's hard to get people to anty up the $525 without seeing what the finished product will look like. DavidC asked about the "some time next year" comment I made. It means that if we reach the number of orders necessary to start all the tooling, you should have the action "in hand" next year. Right now I would guess that it would be around this time next year.
I'll post pictures once I have something substantial to do so with. I don't want to post incorrect pictures and have the action change later.
mho is absolutely correct. I cannot in good faith give you an "exact" date. Even if I said tomorrow that the tooling was going to start March 1st, with everything that went on with the shorts and lefties I couldn't be absolute in saying "26 weeks" cause we all know that it has taken at least 6 weeks longer than our worst case scenario. I'd say hang in there, no money has changed hands yet and when we get to the point of starting everything we'll call or email everyone to ensure that they still want the order.

Dan

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Anyone in a hurry for their PH can make a difference by doing some sales work along the way. This is basically a populist movement and we need voluteers to get out the word!

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thanks for the response. If my question came across a bit confrotational or sarcastic I apologize. It was not my intention. There are NO flames from my end of things. I understand your position completely and I have faith in MRC and the actions you produce. I have spoke to you folks over the phone 3-4 times and everyone I delt with was very friendly, straight foward and easy to talk to.

I asked the question because it looks to me like the PH is kind of stagnant as far as new orders are concerned. This is a bit of a worry as we are about 230 actions out from the 300 mark. I guess my real concern would be what happens if we have not yet hit the 300 mark in the next 8-12 months?

While I am not in a real rush to receive the actions I do have to consider the overal time frame. After all having the actions in hand is just the begining of another waiting period involving aquiring the barrels, stocks, recoil pads, mounts, scopes etc. Then I need to get the right smith to build a proper pair of Dangerous Game Rifles....in a "reasonable" amount of time.

I am not planning on cancelling my order...far from it. However, I would like to make a trip to Africa in the next 2-3 years to hunt Buffalo and possibly Lion & Leopard. Naturally, I would want to take my 375 H&H and 416 Rigby built on the new MRC PH Actions. As we stand now it looks like that *might* be a bit of a close call.....

It's tough to wait for ones dreams to come true, isn't it? [Smile]

Regards,
Dave

[ 10-30-2003, 01:27: Message edited by: DavidC ]

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have the other components on hand and ready.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I can wait... just have to play with my 500 till then.. plus anything I build along the way

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only echo the comments of Tigertate, a fellow Texican. On behalf of MRC we need to sell, sell and sell.

OK then, here's the pitch:

Part 1: If one was to order a double square bridge "Brevex" Mauser from Granite Mountain, Wells or Gentry, how long would it take to have an action in your hands. Hmmmmm. I'd be willing to bet a year or better.

Part 2: Pricing from any of the three producers listed above for same double square bridge "Brevex" Mauser type action going to be north of $2 grand per unit and most likely $3 grand. Now, $525 versus $3 grand sounds like a good value, even to a crazy Texican such as myself.

Come on guys and gals, order up!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 Caliber Mag Fan, your post puts things nicely into perspective. Maybe there is meaning to the madness of trying to get in on this charter program (indeterminate wait and all) after all [Smile]
- mike

[ 10-30-2003, 13:01: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I have sent you an e-mail.

PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had a prototype PH action in a "Rhino" stock to show at the SCI show....with a $525 introductory price tag...

Well... 300 units could possibly be the "daily" order rate.

I was under the (mistaken?) assumption that a Brevex Mauser was a round bridge, not a square bridge.

26 weeks is a "best" case, not worst case. That includes "one" rework session of the molds and first articles machined without problems. MRC did the SA in 32 weeks. From CAD to production ships. The LA-RH took 56 weeks.

Most of the heartache, pull-your-hair-out, drown-in-your-beer type stuff that took place on the first model will probably never happen again. The entire supply chain had to learn on this one. Even Ruger.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the PH action going to have a larger diameter
barrel thread size than a reg mauser?Seeing as how it has a larger bolt diameter, it would
be great if it had larger barrel threads,like
1.25 inches.If so I would get one.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake if I associated Brevex with a double square bridge action. I just associated Brevex with a true "magnum" size Mauser action.

Rod, I perused your web-site and could not find a reference to a "Rhino" stock. Is that another stock geometry?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DavidC: No need to apologize, I have learned from posting on AR not to take offense to anything, or at least try not to. I did not find your comments confrontational or sarcastic at all. You are a concerned customer who wants answers and I'm doing everything I can to give you the most accurate information I have at hand at this moment.

I think the PH has slowed a bit, but I figure that is because of a few reasons. One of them being that we did this "promotional" (as some people call it) deal on the short actions and we are just now starting to deliver. Once people see that the Short and Left Hand Long actions are real, they will be more receptive to the idea of another "Charter Issue" action. I think once they have done that we will see the orders increase.

As I have said we are planning on having 2-3 working models of the PH action ready for the Shot Show this coming February. We have had a lot of interest in the action, but I think a lot of people want to see what the finished product will look like. I understand this all too clearly.

Rod@Acrabond is absolutely correct. He has stated it perfectly. As I have said before Pinetree gives us a "26 Weeks" window, but from what we have seen with reworks and all that number should be closer to 30-36 weeks.

The barrel thread that we are going to do on the PH is going to be 1.125 x 16 TPI. Now that could change, but that seems to be what they are planning right now.

If anyone has any other questions please let me know and I'll answer them as honestly as I can.

Thanks and have a great weekend

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Rhino" is in development. It will be based on the Merlin but with thicker forend, buttstock, and pistol grip. More area under the buttpad for recoil. It is intended for .458 Lott class of cartridge and up, and large enough to handle the PH when the metal becomes available.

In four or five weeks, we should be able to incorporate a drop-box magazine on the M1999 long action as one variant of "Rhino". As typical of most things, website updates usually wait until you have something to "show".

Cheetahs and Leopards are now shipping. We'll soon have some pic's on the website.

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote