New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminated stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I plan on piller bedding a laminated stock in the next few days. I was wondering if there would be any special problems that I might run into, such as the bit running off course because of the laminations. I plan on plugging the action screw holes with a dowel and then drilling the holes with a spade bit. I know that isn't the best way, but, it's what I have on hand. Any suggestions?

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Turkey Shooter---

If you're going to use a spade bit the stock BETTER be rigidly held in a milling machine first.......and since you *have* the milling machine to hold it, use an end mill to plunge cut it and leave the spade bit to electricians for drilling holes in walls. They're well suited for that job, NOT drilling through holes in stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk, your're such a kill-joy [Big Grin] All kidding aside I respect your opinions. Now is there any other way I could do this myself. I'm on a very limited budget and only have hand tools to work with. I'm determined to do this myself but I don't want to ruin my stock. So if you say no way then I guess I'll hold off.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate New York | Registered: 06 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why plug with a dowel and re-drill? As long as the holes are not oversize or mis-positioned now, just use whatever size spiral bit you need. A drill press would help you to make sure the holes stay straight -- that is, assuming the top of the stock is flat and it will lie with the existing receiver screw holes perpendicular to the axis of the receiver.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<MRMD>
posted
Whatever you do be careful to keep it straight. Those laminated stocks are hard as heck--especially when your drilling into the end grain and hitting a lot of epoxy.

I had a spade bit get off course when hollowing a butt on a Boyd's. I later sanded through the butt into the hole. Pretty frustrating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkeyshooter, from one do-it-yourselfer to another, get a Forstner bit from one of the hardware stores, drill the holes from the bottom. Around the rear tang on the stock just inside where the tang will rest take a utility knife and score the wood a few times so when the forstner bit comes out you will have no splinters going out where they can bee seen. While drilling remove the bit often to let the chips clear and keep an eye on how straight you are going, piece of cake. The bit size is a 5/8ths inch. No need to plug the holes either.

[ 04-28-2003, 16:28: Message edited by: Tim in TN ]

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote