New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester follower question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I installed a 7stw barrel on a 300 h&h mag pre 64 action. Install went great until I put a shell in the action it popped back out. I looked at the follower an it is different wider than a 270 follower from a gUn in my safe. The 270 follower works well on the STW. Does anyone know where I can get a follower. I ordered a mag mauser follower this morning from brownells. Don't know of this will work?

Posts: 239 | Location: branson mo | Registered: 28 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Duane Wiebe. I know he borrowed two different sizes from me a few years ago when he was thinking about making them. I don't know if he ever did it. He was certainly great to work with.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If the 270 follower worked, I would have got another standard follower. The Mauser mag one you ordered will be wider, like your 300. I would have thought that the wide one would work better. Goes to show that feeding is sometimes a result of sorcery, not science.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It's all boogy worship and mumbling strange incantations that makes them work. The black-sciences.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the follower is not original to the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod is correct. The reason I sent Duane multiple followers is because we found out that the standard long action regular follower is different than the featherweight standard long action follower in the "Classic" Winchesters. As I recall, the featherweight had a 90* turn in to attach to the spring.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith friend of mine rebarrelled a 1990's mfg M70 from 338 Win mag to 375 RUM. Using the existing bottom metal he could not get the RUM cartridges to feed properly. He obtained bottom metal for the RUM and it worked well. I don't recall seeing any difference between the old and new; but they must have been different.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was fireforming some 416 jarretts for the STW with COW last night. With the 270 follower was able to feed unloaded shells I'm happy just need to find a follower for my other rifle. Wished norma made STW brass

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Midwest Gun Works. And make sure you have the right mag spring too.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much

one of us
posted Hide Post
They need to be fitted by hand, If you have never done one, it will may cost you several followers, but they are cheap enough. its somewhat difficult to get it just right I suppose..but after doing a few of them you'll get the hang of it..Blank followers can be purchased from Brownells or buy milsurps...Be sure they are long enough.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote