New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single shot rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys im new to this and would like to assemble a single shot rifle. Like a sharps or highwall. I dont want to machine parts, but would like to buy them. Is there a kit around to make one, or a place to buy them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there's a complete kit anywhere.

Waffenfabrik Hein has a single shot action, though. You can probably get them to thread and chamber a barrel. Then you'd have to get or make a stock. Still, it's probably not the assembly you might have been looking for.

HTH,

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dannyvp:
Hey guys im new to this and would like to assemble a single shot rifle. Like a sharps or highwall. I dont want to machine parts, but would like to buy them. Is there a kit around to make one, or a place to buy them all.

There have been several "Kit" versions of Sharps, Hepburns and Highwalls out there, most are not worth of being paperweights.
If you want a relatively inexpensive way to stock your own Sharps you might restock a Pedersoli or the like. There have been a few original Rolling Blocks running around but they are getting Scarcer.
Some of the better manufacturers might be talked into making you just an action but that starts getting expensive real fast.
I think that if you are relatively new to stock making I think that your best bet would be a restocking job. That way you have a pattern. Other choices are going to have a high price or frustration level...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont have one to start with. I just wanted to buy one then thought it would be cool to assemble one. I noticed that IAB sells a kit.
They do look nice,though they have no instructions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a company in Trinidad, CO who was making single shot rifle kits based on the Farquarson (spelling is atrocious, I know!) or how ever you spell it. The owner was one of the instructers at Trinidad Gunsmithing School, and as I understand a very competent one. I don't have their website, can't remember it, but might do a search and see if you can find it.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If i was just going to buy a sharps or highwall, which brands should i look at?
Are they all pretty much equal.

<xs headspace>
posted
Ya know, they just don't bolt together... It took me most of a day to get my Low wall CF conversion barrel to just kiss the breechblock when closed, and index the flat on the octagon barrel to align with the side of the action. Then there's fitting the extractor/ejector in the end of the barrel. Much easier to put on some new prefit barrel on a Savage bolt action.