Find
Notify
Tools

340 WEATHERBY CLEAN UP A 338 WIN?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
That's the question right there, will the 340 Weatherby clean up a 338 Winchester chamber?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yes. There "might be a faint line" on the 340 neck where the 338 neck ended. Per drawing the 340 is a couple thousand narrower in the neck. Depending on the reamer there might be a line. If I was betting a coffee I'd say it wouldn't show.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
yep.. got 1 .... no idea if it was set back any... but no marks on the wthby brass after firing...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, I'll give it a go.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

BWW, unless you have a 26" + barrel, I can't see the point exercise!

Regards
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
BWW, unless you have a 26" + barrel, I can't see the point exercise!

I would tend to agree. Lot more powder and recoil for about 100fps.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tons of 338 bullets, tons of 340 Weathrby brass and a reamer.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have tons of 338 bullets, tons of 340 Weathrby brass and a reamer.

While I would admit to having built rifles for less. rotflmo You really need to be honest with your expectations. You are looking at maybe 100fps by burning 20% more powder with the recoil and blast to match.

If I had a 338wm and 338 bullets I would load and shoot and be happy. Big Grin Sell the brass and reamer and use the $$ on some other wild hair I had(seems like I have a never ending supply).

That said if you want a 340 "just because" by all means go for it. BOOM Sure would be boring if we were all the same.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just do a longer free-bore on a .338Win so bullets can protrude a little further out to gain an x-tra 50ft/sec.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he follows up on all his different threads, he will be a busy young man.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I had a to move across the nation for a promotion and ended up selling every gun I own to finance the deal.

I am in the position of owning hardly anything in the gun department again, and of course it is now time for another promotion and transfer. But at least we won't be financially destroyed by this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I said anything about funds. I just said you would be a busy young man>

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I follow you. I understand, I have a pretty heavy thirst to rebuild my gun safe and I am trying to do it with stuff that makes sense, and that I really want.

This time I am trying to make sure that I buy and build exactly what I want.