Notify
Tools

Re-assembly of a Savage 330
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted
Howdy all,

I dusted off my first shotgun(34 years ago) for a pheasant this past weekend and noticed that the safety was very gummy. So tonight I tore it down and scrubbed it like crazy.(first time to this degree) I thought I had the sequence of parts down pat, but as is often the case, I must have messed up. I can't seem to get the trigger group in place and have a functioning gun. I can assemble the receiver to the trigger/hammer group sans stock and it works fine, but I can't seem to get a proper lining up of the safety to the hammer selector with the receiver in the stock. There is a transfer bar that fits into an inverted "u" on the safety, the rear of the safety has a longer leg that fits on one side or the other of the barrel selector transfer bar. Does anyone have any hints on this? Also, the automatic safety reset spring has a little metal ribbon "shield" with a tab to cover one end of the spring. Any idea to the proper orientation of this piece of metal? Does it go between the receiver and the spring, or does it go between the spring and safety and which end gets the tab covering the end of the spring?

Thanks,

Gary

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I got it. The metal shield goes between the safety and the spring as a retainer.

The trick to getting the rear leg of the safety was to assemble it upside down starting with the safety to the rear but slowly disengaging it.

in case anyone is interested.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 403 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote