New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 RUM TO .404 JEFF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the chance to buy a Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade in .300 RUM from a friend for a very reasonable price. My initial thought when offered the rifle was to buy it and then rebarrel it to .404 Jeffery. Since the .300 RUM is based on the .404 case, I do not believe that there would be too much additional work needed to get the .404 to feed properly. Your thoughts on doing this conversion (especially the pitfalls) would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
That is what I did with my Savage in a 300RUM had it rebarreld to a 404. No problems just a new barrel.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TreeFarmer,

I am no expert, but I am building a 404 from a mdl 70 classic, I bought a NIB 300 UltraMag to start with. First off if I had to do it over again I would do it on a CZ. Reason being is not having to buy bottom metal. Keep in mind I didn't have to, but I wanted 4 down.

Dennis olson did the feeding on mine, and it didn't take him long to get it to feed, I think he charged me a 100 bucks or so. I am using a factory mag box with Sunny-Hill bottom metal. Mine feeds 4 down slicker than a gut.

The mdl 70 in a Ultra mag is very easy to get it to feed. Just depends on what you want at the end of the day.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My initial thought when offered the rifle was to buy it and then rebarrel it to .404 Jeffery. Since the .300 RUM is based on the .404 case, I do not believe that there would be too much additional work needed to get the .404 to feed properly.

If you want a 40 cal with a lot of whompass in a M-70.....just buy it. It's called the .416 Rem Mag.

You won't have the rebarreling problems....you won't have trouble getting dies...you won't have trouble finding bullets.....you won't be bewildered by the difference between Norma brass dimensions and regular RUM brass dimensions.....you won't have trouble with shell holders and if you ever wish to resell it.....you'll have a stock M-70.....verses a .404 that only folks that frequent this forum knows anything about.

The .404 Jeff is ballistically the twin of the .416 RM and given the choice it's far more practical to go with the REM Magnum.......But of course.....I sure do like my .404

Seriously.....the Rem Mag is a far far more practical big bore!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vapodog -

Unfortunately, the .416 Rem Mag holds little interest for me and being practical is not an issue in this case. The conversion of the Model 70 to .404 Jeff would be because I just want one. If I were being practical I would probably just use one of my .375 H&H's for everything that can bite back. I already have a .425 Express that will also do the job quite well and it and the .404 use the same bullets.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Tree Farmewr.....in that case you have the makings of a very nice .404.......and best of luck to you

BTW my barrel blank is a #5 from Montana rifle company....dies from CH-4d, Norma brass from midway, bullets are woodleigh from midway and the talley barrelband, NECG banded front sight, and the dakota quarter rib is from Brownells.

Norma brass just might have about .010 larger head diameter and that will require you to open the boltface about .010, I'm not sure on that.....at least I had to.

If I can help in any way let me know.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
other than the bottom metal, billy, it was pretty straightforward, right?

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vapodog -

Thanks for the input and the offer to help. I have just started the thought process as to what I want this rifle to look like in its finished form. BTW how do you like the Montana rifle barrel?

TreeFarmer

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Tree Farmer.....it's all done and test fired and is now in Wisconsin for Bluing......I haven't fired groups yet so can't comment on that.....other than that visually.....surface finish inside and out it was the best looking barrel I've ever bought......and the price was right too....

Besides....not all MFRs make .423" barrels!!