THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need some help with a hogue overmold - drop-in/not so drop-in

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help with a hogue overmold - drop-in/not so drop-in
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have a full length block hogue overmold for a 98 mauser.

The front of the action cut out needs to be opened up.

I would like it done professionally.

Any smiths here have experience and willing to do the work.

Thanks,

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
No help on the stock. But you have number 9 all fudged up.

Dings acquired in the field are OK. In fact they are sort of manly because they were acquired in the heat of battle and probably have some sort of near death experience attached to them. The larger the ding is, the bigger and more ferocious the critter was and the closer to death the owner was. It also means that the BS story that's coming is going to be CONSIDERABLY, longer winded.

There is really no such thing as a safe ding. To admit to a safe ding means that you are probably overweight, a drunk, lazy, the gun has never been in the field and you're nothing more than an armchair wannabe. And, you probably cant hold a job, you beat your wife and you cheat on your income tax. Real safe dings are always range dings and usually involve a tornado, earth quake or other natural disaster that occurs when you are changing targets.

But what ever, I digress. Most range dings usually morph into field dings over time or given enough alcohol.

I hope I have cleared this little matter up for you and you should feel truly ashamed for not paying more attention to such truly, edumactional peoples !

lol

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought #9 was backwards too...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
No help on the stock. But you have number 9 all fudged up.

Dings acquired in the field are OK. In fact they are sort of manly because they were acquired in the heat of battle and probably have some sort of near death experience attached to them. The larger the ding is, the bigger and more ferocious the critter was and the closer to death the owner was. It also means that the BS story that's coming is going to be CONSIDERABLY, longer winded.

There is really no such thing as a safe ding. To admit to a safe ding means that you are probably overweight, a drunk, lazy, the gun has never been in the field and you're nothing more than an armchair wannabe. And, you probably cant hold a job, you beat your wife and you cheat on your income tax. Real safe dings are always range dings and usually involve a tornado, earth quake or other natural disaster that occurs when you are changing targets.

But what ever, I digress. Most range dings usually morph into field dings over time or given enough alcohol.

I hope I have cleared this little matter up for you and you should feel truly ashamed for not paying more attention to such truly, edumactional peoples !

lol

speerchucker

Nice point.....or whatever

But I doubt Mike needs #9 cleared up nor is he any of the drunk armchair wannabe folks you mention

Mike is pointing out the bullshit that spews out of the mouths of AR experts from time to time

#9 is easiest found in the AR classifieds describing a 95% rifle for 120% cost

The list he put together is meant to be funny and point out several things that are just total bull shit but all to common happen on most forums

Now for the OP's question

Mike....if I was closer I would fix you up my friend

Or you can send it to me and I can fit it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Mike is pointing out the bullshit that spews out of the mouths of AR experts from time to time

#9 is easiest found in the AR classifieds describing a 95% rifle for 120% cost

The list he put together is meant to be funny and point out several things that are just total bull shit but all to common happen on most forums

Ahhh yeah. I did kinda get that. I just reinforced what he said. But #9 is still bass-akwards. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Those stocks are a PITA as when you open them up on the mill, the substrate cuts fine but the rubber mostly just gets pushed out of the way and has to be cut off by hand with a razor knife. Very difficult to make it look neat.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Interesting...I had good clean cuts with a dremel tool on the first one I tried.

But my eye hand coordination is horrible (funny for a guy who qualified Master with pistol and revolver for 18 years) and I screwed up staying in my marks and didn't want to screw it up again.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried to cut them in my mills Mike but I just don't have the RPM. If a guy had a CNC with 10,000 RPM capabilities and good sharp carbide tools I'm sure they would cut pretty good.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
No, they will not; the rubber just pushes out of the way. Unless of course the stock is frozen first, maybe, but that doesn't seem to be an option now does it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have cut them cleanly with a Dremel too. Most common problems can be solved with explosives or RPM, but a Dremel tool is 35,000 RPM. 10,000 RPM may just not be fast enough and if Toomany Tools has tried it I'll take his word for it. Like I said I only have 3,000 RPM at my disposal and I know that doesn't work.

Just as a note: I opened one up for a guy some time ago and he brought it back in because the rubber had started to peel off the shell where I opened it up. Apparently the two are overlapped and bonded where the join and once you cut through that there is nothing to hold the rubber on. I lightly sand blasted the rubber and the Tonka toy plastic underneath and then glued it with the contact cement that's used for auto tire patching and it's held fine for 5 or 6 years.

At any rate, they are kinda like those silly Limbsaver pads. If left alone and just installed with no alterations they are fine. I guess. But I have putzed with both enough that I no longer work with them beyond bolting them on. I leave that silly crap to the basement cowboys who do this stuff for the challenge and entertainment factor. I've been at this so long that I'm now mentally challenged by definition. I don't need to add to it by working with that sort of crap. LOL

Rod Henrickson