New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with this FR-8?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few years ago I purchased a Spanish FR-8 rifle. Here is a sight with some good pictures of one:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/6125/Images/FR-8/fr-8.htm
It is a '98 mauser action with a 17" barrel in 308 Win (7.62 Nato). Well, I want to do something with this. I would like to scope it, and put a synthetic stock on it to sporterize it a bit, and enhance it's accuracy. The chamber and barrel are in great shape, the barrel looks crome lined. I've put about 100 rounds of milsurp through it just plinking, and the accuracy is not all that good. I don't like the iron sights, and there is a metal cap on the end of the stock that presses on the barrel. I won't even tell you the groups I got at 100 yards with these sights (buckshot). I think it could do much better than this with a new stock and a scope.
Problems I forsee. The rear sight is a rotating disk in a stand that is welded onto the receiver. That would probabally have to be ground off before it could be drilled and tapped. Second, would commercial synthetic stocks fit this? It is a '98 Mauser receiver, but a short CETME barrel, and a recoil lug in the stock.

I've never done anything like this, so all comments are welcome.

Clement

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Sell it and buy a plastic rifle from Fred Meyers.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot some good ammo in it first. Try a box of Federal 168gr Match and a box of Federal 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, If you handload try a Sierra 168gr. Matchking or their 165gr. Gameking Hollow Point, over 39.5 gr. of IMR 3031. If the rifle does not shoot some of these loads good it might not be worth spending any money on. Might be better to keep it as a knock-about rifle and get another 308 to scope. I, and several friends have had good luck with the Remington Model 7's in 308.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote