Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel argument
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm in discussions with my gunsmith on which barrel to install on my 1999 short action.

He says "Shilen select match".

I say "Lothar-Walther or Krieger".

He replies "Who's barrel always wins the Supershoot?"

What do I say?

[ 06-13-2003, 06:28: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Fjold---

If you're going to compete against the Supershoot people with the rifle I'd consider the Shilen. If you want a barrel that looks better in contour and shoots too accurate to tell the difference, take the Lothar-Walthar.

Tell your gunsmith he'll thank you later for introducing him to REALLY nice to work with barrels that shoot terrific.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Is he makeing any claims as to accuracy with one bbl in reguards to the other, or have other reasons/quality concerns to want you to go with Shilen? Are you building it for the "supershoot"?I would go with his choice if so.
If not, the customer is always right. My smith won`t make any accuracy claims unless I let him put a Walther barrel on a rifle and let him do the bedding. He will put whatever I ask for on it though. I feel it`s a fair request on his part if I get what he promised.
I`m pretty sure I wouldn`t feel handicapped with a hunting rifle if I went with any of the barrels you named. Buttttttttttttttt.
I do understand wanting Walther, I prefere them myself [Wink]

[ 06-13-2003, 07:08: Message edited by: Ol` Joe ]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would go with the gunsmith's suggestion...He will do a better job if he believes he is useing the best..it's an artist thing (far as I can tell)
IIRC Lothar-Walther requires a differant technic for a good chamber...if the gunsmith is not 100%comfortable with the proper procedure doubt will take over.(not a good thing) One last thing the bottem shooter at the Super Shoot also shoot Shilen's ..just no one braggs about it.

Posts: 2 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you should get the barrel that you want on it. If the gunsmith is going to pay for the barrel and install it for free let him put a shilen on it. If not then put what is going to meet YOUR needs.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious,everybody, how do the Walther barrels compare in price to the others? they don't have any prices on their site so I can't tell if they are at the high end with Krieger or about the same as shilen, pacnor and douglas.

I would definitely get the barrel that I wanted.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Red,

I am now shooting a L-W .375 H&H barrel (in their factory contour). It was on the order of $200 as opposed to a $300 Krieger. It looks good on the rifle -- a BRNO M602 -- and more importantly it shoots well.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith and I always debate everything, he's a good guy and we enjoy the banter. He'll put the L-W or the Krieger on, but he'll be laughing up his sleeve because he won the debate.

I'm going to have to check the Supershoot standings to see what barrel finished last.

I hope it was a Shilen. LOL

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
As we have two companies here, the Montana Rifle Company and the Montana Rifleman with the Montana Rifleman being a barrel manufacturer itself we constantly have people ask if we'll put another manufacturers barrels on our actions for them. While I believe that our barrels are becoming some of the best barrels produced worldwide, I know that if you have your heart set on a Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Pac-Nor, Krieger, etc etc etc I'm not going to change your mind. If I talk you into one of our barrels there will always be that doubt in the back of your mind. So I say, go with what YOU want as in the end it really is your decision and what you are most comfortable with.
Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right on, Dan. You'll be getting mine of the these days... So what has become of those actions we see in the site photos?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote