New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Actions vs. Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 20 gauge Montefeltro is about 8 -10 years old. It gets a little sluggish after 2 cases of shells (don't we all). I put one of those C-H recoil reducers on the front of the mag tube to tame the whippy feeling of the 26" barrel. That, plus a decent recoil pad to fit my gorilla length arms makes it a very pleasant gun to shoot. Very easy to strip down and clean as you all know. I replace the recoil tube in the buttstock on all my semi-auto shotguns with a Sure Cycle unit. They are made of stainless, and really do the trick.
I had a Berretta 390 in 12 gauge that I just loved. Easy shooting, would go about 800 rounds before it needed cleaning. A bit of a pain to clean, but not the end of the world. I gave that to one of my God sons. Brownells sells a set of springs that you can use to tailor the softness or firmness of the recoil action gas venting to match the shells you are using.
I next picked up a Berretta 391 in 12 gauge. Very nice feel, slimmer forearm than the 390. More of a PITA to clean. Gamaliel supply sells a cleaning kit with all the correct and specialized tools needed to clean that gun. A cordless drill is a big help. I used that gun on ducks all last season. After about 200 duck shells (think slow burning, sooty powder) she started having cycling failures. It took about three hours to get her completely cleaned.
I figured there had to be a better way to spend my evenings during hunting season so I traded an unused rifle for a Benelli M-2, again in 12 gauge. I've been killing live pigeons with that gun this summer, and will post a report after hunting season. So far I'm very happy. Reliable, the butt stock has some cast off for good fit, and the new recoil system is all that was advertised.
All of these guns are good, none of them perfect. They all benefit from a Sure Cycle buffer tube and spring in the stock. The factory buffer tube and spring unit is held in place with a locktite type of adhesive that requires about 350 degrees from a heat gun.
I don't think porting does much more than increase the noise level.
Having the forcing cones lengthened on one that didn't come that way is not a bad idea.
I favor the Briley Long Chokes.
I like to use a dry film teflon type lubricant (Bore Tech's Teff Dry is great). Oil based lubes attract dirt, dust, and powder residue.
I would feel confidant taking any of the above guns to a high volume S.A. hunt.
That Franchi would pound you mercilessly, as was noted above. Those are good chukar guns, but not good high volume dove guns.
Enjoy your trip.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.
That is what I will take when I go.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Sarge: I currently have six 20ga guns, and we won't discusss 12ga. Have found the 1100 has less recoil than any other gun shooting the same shell. With the 1100, take some quad-ought (0000) steel wool with you to wipe the magazine tube down. Don't over-oil an 1100. Use a paperclip to ensure the gasport(s) are clean. These were tips given to me at the Remington armorers' school years ago and they've kept my guns functioning.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My 20 gauge Montefeltro is about 8 -10 years old. It gets a little sluggish after 2 cases of shells (don't we all). I put one of those C-H recoil reducers on the front of the mag tube to tame the whippy feeling of the 26" barrel. That, plus a decent recoil pad to fit my gorilla length arms makes it a very pleasant gun to shoot. Very easy to strip down and clean as you all know. I replace the recoil tube in the buttstock on all my semi-auto shotguns with a Sure Cycle unit. They are made of stainless, and really do the trick.

So then, your recommendation is to take a Benelli Montefeltro and treat it just like I do any factory rifle, as a starting place! Sounds good. I think they can be had new for less than $9C if I look aroung hard.
Thanx,

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Excellent update. Since the trip is likely to be in '07 or '08 I should have time to try out both the 1100 and the Beretta before purchase. For general upland, I'll stick to my Citori . . . at least until I can afford a Ruger Gold Medal (let's not even dream about McKay Brown, it's too depressing).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JNC,

Are you recoil sensitive? I only ask because I have never found the Benneli's recoil to be bad, at all. The only 1100 I have shot was on par with the Benelli, as I recall. Perhaps I am just recoil insensitive, although the 50 Beowulf AR15 bothered me to no end, as does a significantly hot rodded Sharps crescent buttplated 45-90.

Just curious.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote